Sign in to follow this  

Essential Upgrades for 300XC

I've just put purchased my first KTM, a 2016 300XC. While I'm not new to dirt bikes, I am new to the KTM brand.

What are some of the first essential mods and upgrades to do to this bike to make it even more trail worthy then it is?

I'm planning on adding a spark arrestor to it because most of where I ride is public lands and its required.

What else should be done?

Hey man congrats on the new bike, I have a 15' 300xc and really dig it. I live around sea level in norcal and the jetting was off, I bought the jd jet kit, I know some guys run a rm needle from a rm 250 ..You definitley want to put some loc tite (medium blue) on the shifter bolt, kick stand bolt and any other bolt you think may back out, if your over 5'10 id get taller bars, I put a underbar scotts dampner on mine which raised the stock bars over an inch so for now they work good. Suspension is good for offroad I read all the fuss about the 4cs but I had them on a 350 and now the 300 xc,  try putting about 7-10 solid hours on the suspension too soften up then make some adjustments, all I did was put heavier springs in and I tinker with the clickers everytime I ride and it is starting to get pretty good.. im coming for moto so I personally do not like soft suspension .. I know running a rate stiffer spring than normal on both the shoch and fork works well on the 4cs . There is not a whole lot to do to these bikes, I did put a rekluse exp in it and for off road it is like cheating if your with people that do not have a rekluse lol Its a damn good mod Id get a nice wrap around skid plate and a shark fin , after two rides and 85 miles my skid plate took a beating id never ride rocky stuff without either one of those.

On the right side of the motor you will see a 4 point dial (brass head) I use a flat head screw driver to adjust it, once you get you jetting dialed I would turn the dial in all the way and back it out to 2 1/2 it should be mellow, sfter that start backing it out until you get enough "bark" out of the motor you want then leave it, a lot of guys run it flush to give the xc more hit or turn it in to smooth the power out. Dont be afraid to play with suspension clickers , jetting and that power valve dial ( oh ya I like the red power valve spring for hardest hit) I read alot of complaints about the 4cs forks but "most" dont take anytime to actually set up for them.

Good luck and enjoy you have one if not the best off road bike ever :thumbsup:

Edited by norcal_hoss
  • Like 1

on my 2016 xc my front exhaust bolt back out at the bottom of the header... something to check

Also, after adjusting jetting still didn't have what I was looking for. But changed to the red power valve spring and helped out. 

I have found in most cases, the jetting charts KTM publishes are excellent.  I run much stronger with their recommended needle than I did with the JD stuff.  I would start there.  I'm a fan of the red exhaust valve spring too.  If you're after even more, the SX head (300 SX, not 250) will wake it up nicely.

Order the thinnest base gasket and get the head milled down and get your squish right. Then spend some time with your jetting. I'm a fan of the Suzuki NECJ needle OEM out of a 2008 RM 250. Not sure if that will work well for your area though I ride between 4,000 to 10,000 in Idaho and change jets and clip position but like the taper at all elevations.

Other than that and suspension work ride it stock for a while the stock exhaust is very good wait till you smash it to change it.

I also agree with locating a few bolts. Chasing my friend coming in hot to a corner needing to downshift is when I decided I really needed to use more lock tight.

And if you don't want to do any of that stuff then don't just re-jet it cause they really are great bikes stock.

Edited by pre-mixed

Picked up a new xc yesterday. Thinking unibiker skid plate and rad guards. Haven't decided on hand guards yet. Probably go with cycra's I have them on my other bikes and they work well. Has any tested the fastway guards? How do they look/hold up?

Why don't they have a good jet kit in from new...do you have to change the jets to make it run good.

Why don't they have a good jet kit in from new...do you have to change the jets to make it run good.

stock probably does work ok somewhere. In the US it is such a big area with so many variables on temperature elevation etc that it would be impossible to have a perfect stock setting for everyone
  • Like 1

At all elevation levels? Mountains and at sea level?

Joe

Hi Jo

The zone I'm is up to 700m above sea level but I guess mostly we ride about 500m....it seems to run fine

Hi Jo

The zone I'm is up to 700m above sea level but I guess mostly we ride about 500m....it seems to run fine

Your elevation range is not enough to merit any jetting changes so leave it the way it is and ride  :ride:

Joe

Edited by trailmeisterjoe