Sign in to follow this  

Rebuild

I have just picked up a 07 rmz250, the bike has 30 hours on it and has never been rebuilt. The bike has only been trail ridden and it will stay that way.I was wondering if anyone can tell me when i should get it rebuilt or get the valves checked? Also anymore maintenance tips are appropriated since this is the 4 stroke ive ever owned.ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1447263073.456897.jpg Thanks!

It's a four stroke not a two stroke. It doesn't need to be rebuilt for many, many hours unless it has been raced.

Check the valves as directed by Suzuki and do oil changes often, along with keeping the air filter clean. That's it.

I just sold a 2009 that had about 170 hours on it with nothing more than valve adjustments, regular oil/oil filter and air filter changes. The bike STILL ran perfect!

Edited by JFM43

It's a four stroke not a two stroke. It doesn't need to be rebuilt for many, many hours unless it has been raced.

Check the valves as directed by Suzuki and do oil changes often, along with keeping the air filter clean. That's it.

I just sold a 2009 that had about 170 hours on it with nothing more than valve adjustments, regular oil/oil filter and air filter changes. The bike STILL ran perfect!

how often did you change the oil/ filter? Edited by Churd16

Oil and filter every 6 hours. I use Rotella T 15-40. You can get 5 gallons for about 65.00 at walmart. Oil filters are cheap on eBay.

You can listen to the guys that say, only use Motul or Amsoil if you want. Those oils are good, but you will spend 20 times more money to maintain the bike.

Edited by JFM43
  • Like 1

I'd agree with what's been said.  I rode my 2012 relatively hard in nothing but deep sand for months.  When i whipped the piston out at 50ish hours it looked perfect.  Even the light machining marks around the piston skirts were all still present, no polishing.  Cylinder was A1 too.  The cam chains do stretch though so that something to consider.

I personally wouldn't run a big bore as i do not like how it changes the dynamic of the power curve and its personality.  They do however have a good rap for reliability (depending on which kit you use of course).

Oil.  Everyone has an opinion on this one and debates often rage.  What was previously said above is fine imo.  I use motul fully synt 15w50 (trust me, use the thicker oil) and i change around the 4-6hr mark.

Buy lots of air filters and have them all prepped and read.  Change often.  Once per ride at the least.

Suspension bearings / head set bearings / wheel bearings = if you don't know when they were last inspected and greased then now is the time.  Do it twice a year:)

Also Is anyone running big bore kits? Are they reliable?

You want a reliable bike....keep it stock and keep up on regular maintenance.

Add 1-2 teeth to the rear spocket if you need a bit more grunt.

If you think that bike is not powerful enough in stock form for trail use, just learn to ride faster!

Edited by mlatour
  • Like 1

Also Is anyone running big bore kits? Are they reliable?

Not running BB. I hear they flatten out pretty hard on top. Never ridden one though.

I use stage one hot cams to give that little boost on the bottom/mid along with re-map ECU. Works great! My RMZ is stock beyond that. I find the cams make for less shifting and clutch work on the bottom end

Edited by JFM43