Sign in to follow this  

oil puking out of airbox

A few weeks ago I switched to a heavier weight oil because it was hot out and the engine seemed a bit noisy with the cheapo 10W-40 I had in there...didn't drain the filter and overfilled it a bit.  It started puking a bit of out of the bottom of the airbox. 

Oil level was adjusted (drained frame, sump, filter into a graduated container and added back the amount called out in the manual).  I continued to get oil dripping on the swingarm.  I figured the airbox between the carb and the filter housing had a puddle of oil in it, since it's lower than the filter housing, and it would eventually stop, and while it slowed down, it didn't stop.  I had about a 50 mile ride this morning and there's a puddle underneath the bike again. 

Short of blow by/poor ring seal, has anyone seen any other causes?  I imagine a clogged drain back passage out of the oil separator could do this, but I can't see how that could happen...engine is not sludged up by any means.

18K miles on it.

The heavier weight oil will increase oil pressure. Increased oil pressure will affect how much oil comes out of the crank case breathing system.
If you went to something like 20w-50 "V-Twin" stuff, it's way too heavy. Personally, I wouldn't recommend anything heavier than 10w-60 or 15w-40.

Edited by fish_bate

10w-60?...musta been a typo.

I switched back to 10w-40 mobill 1 4T racing, and it's still puking. Maybe I'll add a bit of dye to the frame oil to see if what's leaking is current fill or residual from last time

Edited by PatMc

Heaver oil will increase oil pressure, but I have to disagree that has any affect on oil in the breather system.  Not related.

I use 20W50 all the time,  It is both not too heavy and generally recommended for the DRZ motor.  10W60 does exist, it is a KTM oil recommended for severe use.

As to the question of oil in the air box.  How much over filled was it?  If less than 1/2 Qt over, the oil in the air box was probably not due to the over fill.  So what ever caused the oil in the air box was not rectified by correcting the oil volume.  So yes consider excessive blow by and/or problems with the oil separator and breather system.  Any chance fuel is adding the oil volume in the motor?  How is the oil level holding on the dip stick with oil dripping from the air box?

If the oil separator box is cracked, use a soldering iron to melt in and smooth over the fracture.

It's dripping from the airbox drain...oil separator is dry (on the outside).

Sorry 'bout that, maybe throw a small rag in the airbox to soak up the ooze.

Have you oiled the filter lately, if so, what did you oil it with?

Oil in Gas?

What is the level on the dipstick?

Edited by shuswap1