Sign in to follow this  

Street Legal KTM 2009 250 XC-W

I have a 2009 250xc-w 2 stroke for woods races but im upgrading to something newer soon and would like to try and keep the 2009 and make it street legal. First off is it possible to make it street legal or would the DMV never accept it?(I live in nebraska if that helps) and also lets say i did get it street legal and i put some different gearing on it could it withstand on road use (mainly 10-20 mile rides around 40-50mph) or would it destroy top ends and the engine pretty quick?

I don't know much about this but I do know that since Ktm isn't a Japanese brand the title does not say "off-road use only" so it's a lot easier to get it street legal than Yamaha, or any of the others.

Yes it could handle it. the 250xc-w is sold as the 250exc in Europe with lights and all for street.. Old 70s "dual sports" were all 2-stroke.. 

Correct jetting is a must. You tend to hold it at a constant throttle on the road... if the jetting is too lean at that throttle position you can seize the engine. 

I'm looking at a 2007 300 XC-W for the same duty. Light use dualsport to get from home to the trails, connect and back home.

How does XC-W gearing feel at 60mph on its way into town?

I'm looking at a 2007 300 XC-W for the same duty. Light use dualsport to get from home to the trails, connect and back home.

How does XC-W gearing feel at 60mph on its way into town?

my gearing is 13 front 51 rear so it's pretty bad on the road 5th gear I can comfortably cruise at 50 with winding it out completely but it's close