Sign in to follow this  

Which Acerbis handguards for 2010 WR250R

Sold my 2007 TE450 on Sunday, bought a 2010 WR250R on Monday. Couple questions about Acerbis handguards:

1. Multiconcept X-Strong Handguard - Is there enough clearance for stock WRR levers? Description reads "Compared to earlier models, the new bar has a tighter profile. The design is ideal for short levers, resulting in a handguard that provides maximum protection while still being low profile."

2. Endurance Handguard - These look roomy, wish the hardware was silver instead of black.

3. Supermoto X-Strong Handguard - Same as Multiconcept but has a nylon slider? Do they fit the WRR properly without modification? Description says bar is modified "to accommodate the oversized brake master cylinders commonly used on supermoto bikes."

Thanks for y'all opinions and feedback.

Edited by WrestleMania

The only Acerbis hanguards I've regularly seen on these bikes are the Rally Pro X-Strong.  In fact I'd seen so many of them that I chose them for my first handguards on my WR250R.  In hindsight I wish I would have saved my money and bought something else.

I will never, repeat never, use this type of handguard again on any motorcycle.

Initial fitment to the stock 7/8" steel handlebars was fine and installation went without a hitch.  They looked great and left plenty of room for my levers to operate as intended.  If I always rode on the street and never knocked my bike over I would have been fine with them.  But I ride mostly dirt, especially mountain single-track, and I do occasionally tip my bike over.  Just when I really needed these guards to protect my controls they gave me misery instead.

Their basic weaknesses are a mounting method that permits spinning upon impact and materials that bend too easily compared to others available.  The outside bar ends mount via expandable inserts that use a length of rubber hose between the inserts and the handlebar.  The inboard end of the guards mount via a simple clamp around the handlebar.  All of my early falls on the bike were due to low speed stalls caused by factory tall gearing on steep tight trails.  Basically the bike fell over sideways into the dirt with me on it or in process of dismounting.  Every single time this happened the guards spun out of position on impact.  On one occasion the guard spun into my front brake line banjo, breaking the seal and rendering my front brakes inoperable 2000' above the trailhead.  On another occasion the left guard bent over my disengaged clutch lever, preventing me from engaging the clutch again until I removed the handguard on the trail.

Any handguard for this (or any offroad) bike should bolt to threaded inserts in the bar end and attach to fixed mounts on the triple clamps or bar clamps on the inboard end.  I've since switched to Highway Dirt Bikes Ultimate handguards and love them.  They're made from bomber tough materials and mount securely.  They are more expensive and require mounting to aftermarket aluminum "fat bars" to accommodate the threaded bar end inserts.  And they're worth every penny IMHO.

Here's a photo i swiped from the web showing the Acerbis Rally Pro X-Strong guards and mounting kit:

acerbi11.jpg

...And here's a photo of the broken expandable insert on my Acerbis guards. The insert twisted and eventually broke due to repeated twisting and untwisting after impact:

acerbi10.jpg

Hope this helps!

Edited by wwguy

Bent bars and hand guards on a dirt bike are like milk on your cereal! No seriously the Wr weighs almost 300 pounds and will be hard on any aluminum hand guard if dropped hard. I know I have 25,000 miles on my 250r and it has seen a few pairs of hand guards. It does help to use a tapered bar or an aluminum bar that will eliminate the use of the rubber hose spacer. I have had good luck with Maier woods pro aluminum guards. Most of the spills my bike has seen are from it falling over with me not on board. I have lowered my bike about an inch and a half. The stock kickstand ended up too long and only hold the bike up on perfectly flat surfaces. I eventually had it shortened. No more ghost dumps! I will have to look into the guards you speak of. My new husky fe 501 likes to fall off its stand as well.

Bent bars and hand guards on a dirt bike are like milk on your cereal! No seriously the Wr weighs almost 300 pounds and will be hard on any aluminum hand guard if dropped hard. I know I have 25,000 miles on my 250r and it has seen a few pairs of hand guards. It does help to use a tapered bar or an aluminum bar that will eliminate the use of the rubber hose spacer. I have had good luck with Maier woods pro aluminum guards. 

No. Seriously.  You shouldn't have to install "a few pairs of handguards" on any dual-sport bike. The Maier guards you referenced still rely on expandable inserts and clamps for attachment.

Take a look at this Highway Dirt Bikes Ultimate Handguard installation video and you'll (hopefully) see the installation difference.

There's a big difference between HDB and their competitors:

HDB_vs_CYC_00a.jpg

The Maier guards are no exception:

%252F59540.jpg