Sign in to follow this  

My Gold Valve thread... 02 yz250

I have been running the gold valve in the shock for a couple months and like it but plan on going a touch softer next time I service it. It is very predictable on high and low speed hits but could be a little more forgiving.

I just installed the fork kit last week. I was pretty surprised how soft the recommended stack is compared to the stock stack, especially considering the mid valve is now removed. I expected it to feel low in the stroke. That said, I rode sweep for a particularly nasty hare scramble in east TN and I am very impressed with the results. The track was extremely beat up with long deep ruts and millions of shiny rocks and roots. Most of the lap was second gear with an occasional low third so I haven't gotten to test any faster stuff yet. I haven't found many reviews of the RT stuff on the 46mm open cartridge forks. I will keep this thread updated as I get more time on the bike and begin to dial in the clickers.

Was the mid-valve function removed as per Race Tech installation instructions or personnal decision?

Also, did you install both compression and rebound Gold Valves?

Edited by mlatour

So RT does recommend removing the mid-valve for your usage.

Just curious because I've installed RT compression and rebound valves in my 2010 YZ125

but as my usage is exclusively for motocross track, there wasn't any infos indicated on my DVS chart on removing the mid-valve for off-road use.

Our bikes have different model forks as well so perhaps not fully comparable.

Edited by mlatour

OP, where did you go???  I'm about to take my mid-valves to a suspension guy  for a softer shimming and there's a possibility he will try to sell me the gold valve  (compression) to really get what I want.  What is the latest news?

I have done 2 rides on them so far. First was the post above. I went back to the same place last Friday and rode a couple more laps with 1 pretty hot lap and I am still very happy. This time it was nearly dry with water filled ruts. It was still very rough with lots of roots and rocks, typical east tn riding. I did go 2 clicks softer on the rebound and liked it on the small stuff. I was able to use all the travel but did not feel any bottoming. Personally, I am very happy with the setup, especially for more technical rough single track or tighter hare scramble stuff.

Exactly how did you remove or disable the mid-valve?  You cant just remove it because the base calve screws into it/  So, did you take it apart (fun!) and take the guts out?

Race Tech doesnt make a gold valve for the rebound side of the older Yamaha forks, I have an 01 YZ250 with gold valves in the forks (again compression only) and shock and have been very happy with the results. Several of my friends prefer to ride my bike with this setup than their newer bikes of various brands. We are all within a few inches of height of each other and  fairly close on weight, my set up seems to work for them all.

Race Tech doesnt make a gold valve for the rebound side of the older Yamaha forks, I have an 01 YZ250 with gold valves in the forks (again compression only) and shock and have been very happy with the results. Several of my friends prefer to ride my bike with this setup than their newer bikes of various brands. We are all within a few inches of height of each other and  fairly close on weight, my set up seems to work for them all.

BUT - Did you install the Gold Valve yourself and at that time disable/remove the mid-valve? And how did you accomplish that?

I am also interested in how you guys removed the mid-valve.

Do either of you still ever play on an MX track?

I've re-valved my stock forks and shock and am pretty happy but have been considering going gold.

I ride every type of off-road. I use soft valving and 80mm oil level.

• Like 1

I've re-valved my stock forks and shock and am pretty happy but have been considering going gold.

It sounds like we have similar goals.  I'd even be totally OK with forks that aren't quite right for MX but for everything else, they are OK.  Also, it would be nice if the clickers actually made a difference, instead of going from too stiff to WAY to stiff.

Mine are pretty much just that. Not great anywhere but rideable everywhere.

The high oil level prevents bottoming on medium MX flat landings and I've removed a couple low speed face shims for roots and rocks.

Edited by mikeylikesit

Recent post that might be of interest:  http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/1163192-gold-valve-and-mid-valve/

Converting the mid just removes the stack and replaces is with a single large washer and a spring behind it. It opens fully on compression and closes on rebound.

I am 225lbs. I have .47 factory connection fork springs and a 5.8 race tech shock spring. I used Motul expert 5w fork oil at the RT recommended 100mm air gap. Just fyi.

I'm 215 lbs, just got the Gold Valves, ready to install.

Which cL and cH did you go with?

Edited by YZ Yankee