Sign in to follow this  

How much for shock service?

Hi guys, as the title suggests, how much do you pay for a basic shock service (oil, seal, nitrogen)? No changed to spring/valving. I was quoted 150 euro ($160 ish), which I thought was a bit on the pricey side.

Depends on how much the guy performing the service thinks his time is worth...

Ask what your getting for your money.. There are so many different opinions on what constitutes a "service" of a shock..

Just dumping the oil and refilling doesn't quite cut it in my book...

Depends on how much the guy performing the service thinks his time is worth...

Ask what your getting for your money.. There are so many different opinions on what constitutes a "service" of a shock..

Just dumping the oil and refilling doesn't quite cut it in my book...

What would you consider a quality service? (I don't mean to sound smart just asking). I'm fairly familiar with forks but shocks are a new territory.

What I'm worried about is this guy seems to deal more with road bikes than motocross.

Shim inspection & replacement (especially on moderate-high hour units), CC adjuster disassembly, seal head replacement,piston band wear/replacement, shaft spindle inspection (check for out of round and misalignment)

Rebound adjuster disassembly and lubrication, reservoir oil separator inspection., top & bottom bearing lubrication if applicable.

Vacuum bleeding?

On top of all the above, they have invested the time and $$$ in obtaining the knowledge, skills and equipment to do the job properly?

If you don't know what your doing with a vacuum pump you can actually do a worse bleed than by hand

• Like 2

Rent must be cheap in your hood!!

Yea buddy... No need to rip people off.

That's over $100 dollars an hour for me

$100/hr for skilled labor with special tools/facility is about right.

However, if someone took an hour to do a basic seal swap, inspection, and bleed on a rear shock, I'd be suspicious.

The forks I could understand taking an hour or maybe longer since there's two.  I guess it averages out.

I get $50 labor and $10 for oil.

For those skimming that means I can do one shock in one half hour.

service is not service, bether name it rebuild or oil change. My loctite needs more than a half hour.

I charge $120 au which is about $100usd plus parts if the shock is off the bike

Ha, i charge my wealthy lazy clients $200 , struggling young racers $50 , everyone else somewhere in-between..

When i want to make some real $$$ mining & oil/gas will pay me $500-1000 per day..

Suspension is my passion, i work to high standard, charge accordingly & clients find me..

Pay peanuts get monkeys!!