Sign in to follow this  

Blemished carbon fiber pipe guard from bullet proof.

Don't buy the blemished P3 carbon fiber pipe guards from bullet proof. The guard strength is severely compromised. The pictures on his site is deceiving.

I received my guard and it appeared the resin had not set in to the carbon fiber during the manufacturing process. I figured maybe it just looked that way so I bolted it up anyway.

Well, after one ride and a glancing hit on the guard the resin cracked off and exposed carbon fiber that was not soaked with resin. The entire side is also cracking now.

If I could do it again I would of spent the extra 50 and got the good one. Stay away from the blemished guards. It's a waste of money. ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1447274760.708157.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1447274787.377095.jpg

Don't buy the blemished P3 carbon fiber pipe guards from bullet proof. The guard strength is severely compromised. The pictures on his site is deceiving.

I received my guard and it appeared the resin had not set in to the carbon fiber during the manufacturing process. I figured maybe it just looked that way so I bolted it up anyway.

Well, after one ride and a glancing hit on the guard the resin cracked off and exposed carbon fiber that was not soaked with resin. The entire side is also cracking now.

If I could do it again I would of spent the extra 50 and got the good one. Stay away from the blemished guards. It's a waste of money. 📎ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1447274760.708157.jpg📎ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1447274787.377095.jpg

Did you contact them about this? I had an issue with one of BPD's products (not a pipe guard) and I called them and they totally took care of me. 100% satisfied and will definitely do business with them again. I would call them and ask if anything can be done. They may have thought their blemished guard was simply that, a cosmetic blemish. If you explain to them that the guard was structurally flawed they may work with you to resolve the issue. 

• Like 1

Not to sound like a smart ass but that is perfectly normal damage from a hit or "glance" as you say. Carbon fiber chips and cracks when hit. There is nothing wrong with that guard. Slap a little fiberglass matt over it if your worried. 

FWIW the fancy P3 stuff is no better than E-Line. Just a little thicker is all. 

Not to sound like a smart ass but that is perfectly normal damage from a hit or "glance" as you say. Carbon fiber chips and cracks when hit. There is nothing wrong with that guard. Slap a little fiberglass matt over it if your worried. 

FWIW the fancy P3 stuff is no better than E-Line. Just a little thicker is all. 

Yep, my P3 looks exactly like that. Aluminum really is better.