Sign in to follow this  

More bottom to mid power

I have a 2014 kxf 250 and I was trying to gain knowledge on what I should do motor wise. Like what would be the best route. I was thinking hot cam stage one but if someone can tell me another better route I should go. I know for sure I don't wanna go with a big bore kit. But with my fmf system and some cam work and some c12 has I should be good correct me if I'm wrong

Its sure cheaper than motor work.  Depending on how you do your engine work it you might end up trading away top end anyway. 

The only thing you can do that might boost power across the board would be increasing the compression ratio and running race gas.  Kind of sucks for the casual rider. 

I love race gas I don't like that it's like 10 bucks a gallon but I only use that at big races like redbud or high point or iron man but I can notice a difference with just race gas but I called around and it like 650 buck to put a stage 1 cam on which I'm ok with but if I'm gonna spend that I wanna be able to notice a difference ya know. And I don't wanna do that and put that money in and find out a week later that I couldve done something else that would be better I hahaha

Don't no what to do with my kawi I need some more power I have a fmf system on it and i use c12 I just want more pepp I don't wanna change my gearing

Well I'll let you know when o have mine running ha-ha, been having issues with the cylinder head. Supposed to be a couple more horse throughout powerband, but top end is slightly reduced

• Like 1

Well I'll let you know when o have mine running ha-ha, been having issues with the cylinder head. Supposed to be a couple more horse throughout powerband, but top end is slightly reduced

if you have loss of top end put some stage 2 cams in there

do a remap and some good cams, like crower or Williams regrinds best engine mods ive done in a long time,

How are you going to be using the bike?  That's the most important part. That will affect what you can or cannot do.

If you race then class regulations will dictate what you should do. 

If you just trail or pleasure ride, then a big bore kit makes the most sense. 

Engines are air pumps, the more air in, the more it gets compressed, and the better it exhales it the more power made. 

C12 is NOT for stock engines. It will not make more power in a stock MX bike. It is for 'built' race engines. 

I dont think you going to get the power you want with budget engine mods, big bore is the way to go for bottom mid power increase. 

Best cheap option is to gear the bike for the track you riding . 

Maybe you should be looking at a 450 if the 250 hasnt got enough power. 

How are you going to be using the bike? That's the most important part. That will affect what you can or cannot do.

If you race then class regulations will dictate what you should do.

If you just trail or pleasure ride, then a big bore kit makes the most sense.

Engines are air pumps, the more air in, the more it gets compressed, and the better it exhales it the more power made.

C12 is NOT for stock engines. It will not make more power in a stock MX bike. It is for 'built' race engines.

I don't really wanna bore it out and yes you are correct and I meant v4

Well with a Big Bore kit you would just swap the cylinder and piston out pretty much.  No need to actually have the stock cylinder bored and replated. 

But without making the engine bigger, your power gains will be smaller, and cost more typically. 

Higher compression piston, ported head and freshly cut valve seats. Tuning. possibly cams.  All that might net a 20% peak power gain at most. So maybe 8 hp on the best day. 

Big bore kit will get you most of the way there for $600 ish dollars. Just getting the head ported and valve seats cut by someone who knows what they are doing will cost more than that. 

I have a 13 kx 250f wich just turn 50 hrs. I got a offer from a friend who has a 290 Athena kit. It might have 1 hr of use. It was on 2008 kx 250f. So, it will fit o my engine? There are differences between the cylinders such I believe only in height. Am I correct?