Sign in to follow this  

Increase the charging speed

Anybody know if we can speed up the charging rate on this bike. I ride in very technical stuff and the cooling fan run often and drain the battery very quickly.
I don't use the head light so I suppose I can convert this unused power to DC and charge the battery with it.

What do you think about that?

Seems like it could be done. You'd need another regulator/rectifier to convert AC to DC (14Vdc-15Vdc?). You need to be sure you don't exceed the Ah of the battery. I think the standard battery for our bikes is 6Ah. I believe the stator provides 20W max for charging, so that's only about 1.5A. If you use the headlight output for charging as well, you could theoretically triple the charging rate.

Edited by mossman77

Before messing with the electrical system, you also might want to:

1. Check jetting - too lean lets a motor run hot.   Might want to re-jet a bit richer  and let the mixture carry some of the heat away.

2. Look into using a different collant.   Something Like Engine Ice.

Jim.

And a poor battery will not take a charge and has less than normal capacity, both can cause your symptoms.

How old is the battery?

I had a one year old Walmart battery in my X and never had a problem with fan draw at slow bike speeds. To save weight I replaced it with a Li battery, also no problems with the fan drawing down the battery.

I also have my fan stat set to 200F so the fan comes on more often than if the set point were higher.

On 11/11/2015 at 6:53 PM, TiJean said:

Anybody know if we can speed up the charging rate on this bike. I ride in very technical stuff and the cooling fan run often and drain the battery very quickly.
I don't use the head light so I suppose I can convert this unused power to DC and charge the battery with it.

What do you think about that?

did u ever do this, I'm looking into it as well

All of the 250Xs have the same alternator with three outputs; AC for the head light, a charging circuit for the battery, and an ignition circuit. The system was designed for a radiator fan and the early models have a connector near the right radiator for the optional fan.

The system has the capacity to run the fan and keep the battery charged for starting. My X has a fan and I ride tight ST with it and never have had a battery or overheat issue. 

Lead acid batteries deteriorate with age which results in less capacity and increasing resistance to charging. IMO you do not need more alternator charging capacity just a new battery.

I'm running the same bikemaster LI battery that I use in my crf230 and on tight trails that cause me to cut off a lot or require me to switch off for trail clearing the same battery does on the 250x. I was wondering how I could use the lighting coil to charge the battery as well?

I've used a Walmart lead acid battery (it came with the Bike) and a Shorai LiFe battery. A larger LiFe battery like used in the 450X would provide more capacity and it should fit the box.  I like the LiFe batteries because they don't self discharge so no need for a trickle charger. I store my X for six months a year and is fires right up after storage. :banana:

You could add a reg/rect to the AC circuit for more charging to the battery, wiring might be a bit tricky because the ECU also involved.

9 hours ago, Carman said:

i have a 450x lead acid battery in mine. almost twice the cca of the 250x one. its a PowerSonic battery (yamaha)

Stock replacment is a YTX5L-BS (Yuasa), what is the ID code of that 450X battery?

Is it  physically any different (length, height, width) ?

I'm due to replace mine next before next season as it's almost 4 years old,

even fully charged I barely get 10 seconds of starter operation (luckily it always starts easy)

40 minutes ago, mlatour said:

Stock replacment is a YTX5L-BS (Yuasa), what is the ID code of that 450X battery?

Is it  physically any different (length, height, width) ?

I'm due to replace mine next before next season as it's almost 4 years old,

even fully charged I barely get 10 seconds of starter operation (luckily it always starts easy)

DescriptionBATTERY (YTZ7S) (YUASA) (MSDS) I'm not sure of the dimensions but that is what I've found based on my research because I'm looking for better results too

• Like 1

Get a cheap rectifier and run the fan on the headlight circuit,  totally isolated from the battery.    450x uses a bigger battery,  YTZ7S, fits the 250x box snug.  fwiw, I never felt a need for a fan on the 250x, I do have larger capacity rads though.