Sign in to follow this  

Stock 2008 250xcw rear shock good?

I have a 2002 200 exc. The rear shock is re valved for rocks and roots and works alright. It does however deflect sometimes and I have trouble getting it to feel soft and sturdy on rocks yet still stay planted on sand whoops without it swaying side to side. I have a friend who has a stock 2008 250xcw rear shock. Is it going to work better for me and my bike regardless? This is saying that the spring rate is correct for me. I don't want to buy it off of him if I won't see a decent difference in performance. Does anyone have any idea if it is worth it or not?

​I do not think it will work, the chassis changed in 2008 on the xcw and they used the new shock style.  It might fit but I don't think it will

That's a good point, I need to figure that out, I wonder if anyone knows for sure?

Those years of KTMs were prone to having too little low speed dampening and too much high speed.  The result is a shock that feels mushy and bottoms on g-outs, but kicks and deflects off rocks, tree roots and square edges.  My '07 was that way.  The components are top notch material, just tuned weirdly.  A re-valve should cure all of that.  You mention that yours was done, but maybe it needs more attention.  The correct, and preferably progressive, spring is the first thing to address.  If you're hopping sideways, you need more rebound dampening, which will also slow down the low-speed compression (it's a circuit that bypasses the shock piston, therefore it affects movement in both directions).  Try going in two clicks on the rebound screw and see if it gets better.  Then try one click in either direction and ride again.  Do that until you have found the best feeling position.  

• Like 1