Sign in to follow this  

Hand and finger cramps

Hi all, I raced for the first time at switchback my track here in butler Pennsylvania and it was a 55 minute race 75% track 25% trail and about halfway through my hands and fingers really started to cramp and it became painful. I am planning on racing awrcs(2hrs) in the spring and I was just wondering if anyone else has experienced this and what they did to solve it, thanks. Also I do not get "arm pump" at least I haven't ever got it yet.

yup.  ride more!!!  toughen those hands up.  happens all the time at the start of the summer, or after ive taken a few weeks off due to work/rebuild, whatever.  ive had them cramp so bad I could barely open them enough to take them off the bars, I damn near needed to get pulled off the bike!

Hi all, I raced for the first time at switchback my track here in butler Pennsylvania and it was a 55 minute race 75% track 25% trail and about halfway through my hands and fingers really started to cramp and it became painful. I am planning on racing awrcs(2hrs) in the spring and I was just wondering if anyone else has experienced this and what they did to solve it, thanks. Also I do not get "arm pump" at least I haven't ever got it yet.

Hydrate and eat bananas for a couple days before the race. Avoid coffee and alcohol at the same time. Also, quit hanging on so tight.

Hydrate and eat bananas for a couple days before the race. Avoid coffee and alcohol at the same time. Also, quit hanging on so tight.

I was thinking about the bannas and I try to drink as much water as possible and I don't drink coffee or alcohol so that's not an issue. But I think I was hanging on so tight because it was my first race and I was nervous and also the 250 two stroke power probably didn't help that issue lol

Avoid coffee and alcohol at the same time.

Jesus christ man... just go ahead and kill me already... :cry:

I am just a beginner and an old man to boot, I still get sore hands and fingers but I got a pair of those spring hand squeeze exercise things and leave them on the coffee table where I watch the boob tube, while I am not cured they definitely have made a difference....

hand-exercisers.jpg

Cheers,

Jon 

Edited by Jon Heron
  • Like 2

Keep your fingers off the clutch and break levers unless you need them.  Lots of people in that other thread said I was nuts, but they didn't read all my posts apparently.  Note the italicized part of the first sentence. ;)   Hands fully on grips...as loose as you can.

Edited by cjjeepercreeper

Gripping with all might is what you want to do when riding a punchy bike like a 250 2t but really its being relaxed and having proper body positioning. My fingers KILL ME after the first 10-15 minutes but I usually stop under a shade tree. Kill the bike. And press my fingers back on the grips to relieve the pressure. After I do that I looses up a bit. Works every time. Lately I have been lifting and trying to strengthen my hands arms and lose weight - gain stamina. I know MX doesn't spell out fit but being fit is definitely #1 or #2 on the list to be able to push like in a race.

I do the same thing in races but can play ride at the same pace with out cramping. You just have to focus on not gripping the bars too tight.