Personal YZ250 trail bike project

So a few months back I decided to build a YZ250 trail bike and I'm getting close to finishing it. I figured I'd show it on here more to show off and share what I've done so far.

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1447287920.385113.jpg

Motor:

-Stock 03 YZ250

-GYTR flywheel

-#8 carb slide

-NEDK Suzuki needle

Chassis

-02 YZ250 frame (Green sticker)

-18" rear wheel

-2011 YZ450 front end

-Honda front brakes with oversized rotor

Misc

-ZipTy tank

-Trail Tech Endurance computer

-Pro Moto Billet kickstand

That's all that I can think of right now, I have an Athena 293 kit waiting to be installed and I'll most likely put a WR tranny in at the same time. Hope you guys enjoy

Edited by motofreak0592
  • Like 2

Very nice. I'm building a 2005 myself. Can't beat the Pro Moto kickstand. Did you have any work done on your forks?

Here's what I got:

Pro Moto Billet Kickstand (I don't care about the weight, it' so convenient)

- 8.4 oz FWW GYTR

- N3EW Needle

- 2007 rear shock

- 2006 forks with 2mm shaved spacer (wheel collar)

- V-Force 3 reeds (picked up on eBay for $45)

- System Tech fork bleeders

- Pro Taper Pillow Top Grips

Enduro Engineering skid plate (have one on my KX, awesome kit)

Acerbis Rally Pro X-Strong Handguards 

FMF Turbine Core II Silencer (to be legal in our national forests)

Nice!.. I love my pro moto kickstand..I have a set of 09 YZ450f forks and different tripple clamps waiting to install just getting all the parts still.. That Zip ty tank is interesting.. Having the green sticker is cool too!

Edited by Snider

• 2 months later...

UPDATE: did some major work this week. Installed Athena 293, WR 1, 3-5 and 250x governor spring. Going riding tomorrow. Should be a great time.

I'm interested in doing pretty much the same thing for my 2002, that is when I have enough funds for it. Already have the SSS conversion done already as well. Curious to see your feed back.

I'm interested in doing pretty much the same thing for my 2002, that is when I have enough funds for it. Already have the SSS conversion done already as well. Curious to see your feed back.

Definitely. I completely rebuilt the 02 motor with an 03 crank so I'm now able to use the GYTR flywheel weight. I'll let you know how the ride goes tomorrow

I'm pretty sure there would be a lot of members in the "woods YZ" club! I've seen a few badass ones on here. They've been the inspiration for mine for sure

If you do a quick count, you'll probably find that the 250's are split down the middle as far as usage (MX and woods), if not slightly more towards woods. hmm, sounds like an interesting poll...

• Like 1

Motofreak. You still running the k needle with an 8 slide in winter? That sounds like a recipe for lean low and.

Yea I'm still using the NEDK. But I have yet to rejet for the 293 kit. I'm waiting for the rain to take a break for a few hours so I can get some good riding in. Might throw the NEDJ in but not sure yet

UPDATE

- RB Designs squish mod, shaved and cupped head (0.040")

Pro Moto Billet Kickstand (I don't care about the weight, it' so convenient)

- 8.4 oz FWW GYTR

- #8 Slide (carburetor)

- Suzuki NECJ Needle on clip 3

- 45/170 jetting

- 2007 rear shock (4.9 Ti spring)

- 2006 forks with 2mm shaved spacer (wheel collar on brake side): Now valved by Factory Connection

- V-Force 3 reeds (picked up on eBay for $45)

- System Tech fork bleeders

- Pro Taper Pillow Top Grips

Enduro Engineering skid plate (have one on my KX, awesome kit)

Acerbis Rally Pro X-Strong Handguards 

FMF Turbine Core II Silencer (to be legal in our national forests)

- Wide Yamaha foot pegs (5XC on right). Stock is 5XE (middle)

YZfootpegs.jpg

Really I think we are done for a while except want to add some nice graphics.

Edited by LSHD

Building up an 02 for this same reason.

-clarke tank

-Cycra Probend 

-ProCircuit Nature Friendly/ProCircuit expansion chamber

-GYTR flywheel

What's next in order of best thing to do for performance and riding? Get suspension valved for my weight and offroad?  carb stuff like #8 slide and maybe a JD Kit? 

Seems the Enduro Engineering skid plate is popular.  I was hoping to find a plastic one, but nobody seems to make them anymore, only aluminum.

Great thread!

Building up an 02 for this same reason.

-clarke tank

-Cycra Probend 

-ProCircuit Nature Friendly/ProCircuit expansion chamber

-GYTR flywheel

What's next in order of best thing to do for performance and riding? Get suspension valved for my weight and offroad?  carb stuff like #8 slide and maybe a JD Kit? 

Seems the Enduro Engineering skid plate is popular.  I was hoping to find a plastic one, but nobody seems to make them anymore, only aluminum.

Great thread!

Suspension and head work would top my list. I would swap those 02 forks for SSS (06 or later). Haven't checked on how easy this is, so you have some research to do. No need for JD kit. Just get the RB head squish mod and change jetting and Suzuki needle per that mod. EE skid plates are great. I use a strip of heavy Velcro on all contact points to eliminate vibration noise. Works perfectly.

Any other mods will be icing on the cake.

• Like 1