Sign in to follow this  

Yamaha what to know about kfx 400?

Looking at a used kfx 400. I have Quad experience on the basic stuff to look for but dont have any experience with a kfx 400. I guess what i'm looking for is any info you guys can give me on what specific issues to look for on this specific model. problems that have arose, specific issues etc. I know they discontinued this model but never knew why? Any help would be great! 

The KFX400 is an LTZ400 ,only changes are the plastics .The motor is about as reliable as they come and respond good to many mods without loss of reliability. When going to look at a used one listen for any ticking of the motor. They will have a little soft topend tick but it should be minimal. Look for any oil leaks around the clutch lever shaft and countersprocket shaft . Look for signs of the motor being split like RVT around seems or rounded of case bolts. A good thing is that any fixing needed done to the motor are generaly decent pricing and many options from the aftermarket.

On the chassis itself look at the front frame where the a-arms mount. The frame can get bent up there if it was jumped bad , the a-arm mount will bend the frame tubes in toward each other . All four of those tubes should be parallel to each other and straight , if not the frame is twisted. Also the front top shock mounts get bent up and inward , look for cracking and peeling paint around the area. 

Grab both front wheel and wiggle them top to bottom and side to side feeling for clunking and shot bearing or tie rods. Stand on the footpegs and rock it side to side feeling for more clunking , If there is any the swingarm bearings are shot and/or the rear axle bearing are shot . both get pretty pricey to replace everything to tighten up.

Sport quads are one of those items I don't care to ever buy used , so very few of them are truely maintained good and not beat to shit. There are some really good ones out there though , you just have to look them over closely . Crappy fixes  or thing held together with zip ties and tape are bad signs.

Edited by jjktmrider
  • Like 1