Sign in to follow this  

2016 xtrainer Stainless pipe cage build.

I decided to try and design my own pipe cage. I'm doing the designing and a friend is doing the welding. It has to be able to withstand river bolder hits, resist collecting mud, minimum weight, and look sexy.

This is the first time I am building a cage, so this will be an interesting endeavor. My welder friend however, makes them in his spare time and is an incredible welder.

I'll be posting pictures as we go along. ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1447289989.792907.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1447290010.073828.jpg

• Like 3

Fyi, the more metal you use the heavier it is.

Minimal webbing in strategic places is what I have learned.

I recently cut my cage down to 2 lbs by removing everything except a cradle right under the pipe.

Really nice fabrication work my man!

Thanks. The guy that's doing the welding sells them. He is going to make a jig when mine is done so he can knock them out pretty quick. The entire cage is tig welded to cut down on the mass.

Fyi, the more metal you use the heavier it is.

Minimal webbing in strategic places is what I have learned.

I recently cut my cage down to 2 lbs by removing everything except a cradle right under the pipe.

Yeah. Right now it's a balance between weight and protection. The rivers in Hawaii, especially helemano is crazy. I'll take the added protection over a couple pounds. If a couple pounds is going to affect your riding you need to either ride more or train harder.

The cage is about 3 pounds now. With it all said and done I'm aiming for about 6-8lbs which is less then my camelbak usually weighs.

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

Those are very nice and workmanship in impresive.  That said I have a Force combo on my 300RR and its been excellent.  Pipe is original and unscathed.  CF guards are just ding protectors and make pipe damge even worse in a big hit.  If you ride serious rocks you need a guard tied to the frame if the pipe is to survive.

What was wrong with the P3.

The P3 guard is just bare minimum protection. If you hit your pipe hard enough you will bend the flange. Continuous strikes will bend the flange to the point that it no longer seals the area.

The cage will stop that all together. The impact will be distributed through out the cage and absorbed into the braces and ultimately into the skid plate and defused.

If you look at my design the mounts run a loop through the cage to facilitate the distribution of the impact evenly.

• Helpful 1