Sign in to follow this  

2013 KX450 dies when riding, wont restart until it sits for a while.

My sons 2013 KX450 starts right up when cold, but during the last 3 GP races it has just died after 1/2 to 1 hrs(it has varied in time til it dies). Once it dies you can kick til your blue in the face and it wont even try to restart, he even tried to push restart it with help during the last race with no luck. Let it sit 1/2hr and it will restart. Because of the short time it takes to fix itself I have not had a chance to diagnos it because by the time we get it to the pits it will fire up. I read there is a temp sensor that could go bad, but someone else said that sensor wont kill the engine. I'm hoping some one else may have experience this and found a cure. Thanks for any ideas.

Sounds like a possible fuel pump. Def electrical if its when it gets hot (resistance change)

also possible is stator (runs in hot oil), ECU, rectifier or regulator.

not likely but possible is the condensor...

also possible is stator (runs in hot oil), ECU, rectifier or regulator.

not likely but possible is the condensor...

Those are all really good options to check. Do you have a bike you can borrow parts off of and try it? Fuel Pump and stator are the most common problems. My fuel pump mimicked those exact symptoms.

Could be the coil too. I've seen coils that fail when hot and work again after they cool off. I doubt this is a fuel pump issue

Thanks for the ideas everyone. I was leaning towards ignition as I have had simular symtoms with my Maico 490 and it ended up being the stator. The hard part is diagnosing it because it fixes itself faster than I can get it to the truck. I think I'll take it to a practice area where we can be close to the truck and hopefully it will act up long enough to allow me to check spark, fuel ect.