Sign in to follow this  

Transferring 250 to 450

I have hate several 250f and I'm getting bored with them I like the ktm 350s a lot I'm pretty comfortable on ktm. I've ride the 2015 and the 2016 350 and there awesome but I'm a kawi lover and I've never ridden a 450 kawi so what are they like comparison to the 250f iv ridden a 450 a few times all on Honda but I'm debating on doing something to my 250 to puts some pepp in it or should I just save up for a 450

My first bike, three years ago was a 2009 YZ250F.  It is a great bike, other than I am getting lazy and I like the starter on my 2015 KTM 350 XCF-W.  The 350 can be lugged in 3rd and still pull, which keeps wheel spin to a minimum over wet roots in Tahuya or hill climbs in Taneum.  As many articles in the forums have discussed, you are the only one that can determine what bike is best for you.  However, I find the KTM 350 works very well, not perfect, in most riding areas.

The biggest thing I noticed is actually having to use throttle control. With my 250f I feel like my throttle was either open or closed. When I hopped on a 450 I was wheeling everywhere and had wheel spin until I got used to the huge power increase and started to roll on the throttle. Also I had arm pump problems because I wasn't squeezing my legs hard enough while accelerating.

I'm 25 yrs old my first bike I ever rode is my 2004 yz450f and I just got it last week and boy is it fast and is gonna take some time getting use to but I love it can't wait for spring and I paid 1,500 bucks for it with title new top end valves couple upgrades did I get a good deal ?

Plus keep in mind I'm 6'6 230 pounds.

6'6' 230, Wow!  I believe a 450 was the correct choice.  However, some mechanics are better than others.  I hope that your top end was done correctly.  If this is your first bike, then start off slowly and get the right gear, especially boots!!  Don't ride with a bunch of guys that push you beyond your riding skill until you are comfortable. Good tires and proper tire pressure are key to traction.  Get a hydration pack and drink lots of water.  Good luck dirtlife1990 :)

• Like 1

Hey thanks blackzrx everything seems well I was riding it today no smoke no leaks the only think I accidentally did was when I topped my coolant I used a funnel and on the funnel was a little residue of fresh motor oil nothing crazy I wiped it first and noticed he oily look to the top of the antifreeze which my dad said everything cool just clean the funnel next time I use it what do you think am I cool ?

first 106 , bigger isn't always better. on the 450 year and brand mean a lot , also level that you ride and how big or should say long and fast are the tracks you ride . last what is your goal for riding? i find that most of us average riders go a lot slower on 450's . i've watched a lot of riders switch  to 450's and start drag race from turn to turn losing the corner speed they had before. some people that never had the corner speed to make some jumps do like the 450 , they are rockets. I've thought if some one is moving to a 450 from 250f the 15 /16 crf450 was the best bike .as a overall race bike in the right hands the kx450f is hard to beat. You say your getting bored , but thinking of doing something to the 250f to give it more. I would say ride tracks you never rode before, that will make it fun . you didn't say what year your 250f is . if its fuel injected its so easy and they run so nice with a big bore kit , nothing crazy ,like 276 /80 is good . 106 is your suspension done ? if not, getting  the suspension  best it can be we help you have a hole lot more fun , putting the bike places you my never had before... ktm 350 i have one but its older , i really like it . of course the 16 350 is a hole new bike . such a high rpm motor . once you get it in the power it can be a hand full at times .i like the 16 sxf 450 better . hopefully something here helps .  :ride:

Edited by mx481

1990 1500 for a 04 450 if its nice shape and tight , is a good deal . people pay 1500 for some real junk , just because that's their budget and a good 1500 bike is hard to fine . 

Hey thanks blackzrx everything seems well I was riding it today no smoke no leaks the only think I accidentally did was when I topped my coolant I used a funnel and on the funnel was a little residue of fresh motor oil nothing crazy I wiped it first and noticed he oily look to the top of the antifreeze which my dad said everything cool just clean the funnel next time I use it what do you think am I cool ?

I am glad that you had a successful outing.  The radiator issue sounds minimal.  I hope Santa brought you some good gear.  Remember, keep a cool head when riding with buddies.  Occasionally, you may want to practice log crossing and standing while riding, slowly.  (unless you only plan to ride on tracks)  Your balance will increase dramatically!   By the way, if your back is sore the day after you ride, then get a kidney belt.  You will be amazed what it can do :)  Ride smart!

Edited by blackzrx

first 106 , bigger isn't always better. on the 450 year and brand mean a lot , also level that you ride and how big or should say long and fast are the tracks you ride . last what is your goal for riding? i find that most of us average riders go a lot slower on 450's . i've watched a lot of riders switch to 450's and start drag race from turn to turn losing the corner speed they had before. some people that never had the corner speed to make some jumps do like the 450 , they are rockets. I've thought if some one is moving to a 450 from 250f the 15 /16 crf450 was the best bike .as a overall race bike in the right hands the kx450f is hard to beat. You say your getting bored , but thinking of doing something to the 250f to give it more. I would say ride tracks you never rode before, that will make it fun . you didn't say what year your 250f is . if its fuel injected its so easy and they run so nice with a big bore kit , nothing crazy ,like 276 /80 is good . 106 is your suspension done ? if not, getting the suspension best it can be we help you have a hole lot more fun , putting the bike places you my never had before... ktm 350 i have one but its older , i really like it . of course the 16 350 is a hole new bike . such a high rpm motor . once you get it in the power it can be a hand full at times .i like the 16 sxf 450 better . hopefully something here helps . :ride:

Yea I got my kxf 250 pretty dialed in to tell you the truth.my suspension is set up for me and every thing my motor is stock but I don't really like spliting cases open unless i have to but everyone keeps talking about the new kawi 450 and I've rode 450s they are a bit much but they are a blast for me but I prob not gonna be able to last to long on it I race redbud high point and iron Man and sum local races But just in for fun haha pretty expensive fun but its soo worth it haha

106 with the tracks your talking about ,a 450 would suit them well . i have a track at my house it's a mile long and designed to keep speeds down, fast guys still go fast lol. that's the only place I've ridden the 16 kx450 imo it's just one great bike maybe the best stock 16 450 out there. It's more bike then i want . going to sell my 450 and 350 , keep the 250f's i have . i really think the 250f is the best bike for most people , it is for me but that's just my opinion    

106 with the tracks your talking about ,a 450 would suit them well . i have a track at my house it's a mile long and designed to keep speeds down, fast guys still go fast lol. that's the only place I've ridden the 16 kx450 imo it's just one great bike maybe the best stock 16 450 out there. It's more bike then i want . going to sell my 450 and 350 , keep the 250f's i have . i really think the 250f is the best bike for most people , it is for me but that's just my opinion

Yea I always feel like I'm just struggling to get speed but I'm just a C rider and I think your right about the 250s but to tell you I feel smoother in the corners on a 450 but all the tracks I ride are ussally sand base. But I've never raced a 450 but I think I would get tired quick that sounds like a nice track my buddy's track is tight. There's no time to rest but it's winter and I'm not riding much and when I don't ride much I just think about new bikes haha

For me the 250f is the most fun. My lap times are the same too. One down side to the 250 compared to the 450 is passing. If you are faster by a decent margin you will get by but if your opponent is close in speed it is harder to pass.

I have hate several 250f and I'm getting bored with them I like the ktm 350s a lot I'm pretty comfortable on ktm. I've ride the 2015 and the 2016 350 and there awesome but I'm a kawi lover and I've never ridden a 450 kawi so what are they like comparison to the 250f iv ridden a 450 a few times all on Honda but I'm debating on doing something to my 250 to puts some pepp in it or should I just save up for a 450

It's a whole different world from a 250f. Just look at Marvin Musquin. He was king in the lites class, now he can barley crack the top 10 on the 450. Way more power, especially low end, heavier, don't stop nearly as well, not nearly as much engine braking because you're always running a taller gear, harder to lean and straighten up but they do require less maintenance!  If you weigh under 175 without gear, I think 250fs are more fun to ride. Just my 2 cents.  

• Like 1

It's a whole different world from a 250f. Just look at Marvin Musquin. He was king in the lites class, now he can barley crack the top 10 on the 450. Way more power, especially low end, heavier, don't stop nearly as well, not nearly as much engine braking because you're always running a taller gear, harder to lean and straighten up but they do require less maintenance!  If you weigh under 175 without gear, I think 250fs are more fun to ride. Just my 2 cents.

Hey Gary I have a questions for you, I get the Horsepower and engine braking aspects of the 450f vs. 250f debate...

As I'm 5'5 @ 160lbs and I ride an older crf450r, that thing "is a beast" compared to my buddies newer 250f for sure.

What I'm wondering is, with the 16' KTM 450sx-f being nearly a lite and supposedly handling almost as well the other

manufacturers 250Fs is it more the bike, or the fact that Marvin Musquin moved up and the competition is simply better ?

Last night in Anaheim Marvin blew the first turn (twice) with that said I still thought he fought thru the pack fairly well, all

though as you pointed out in your post, he did finish like 9th or 10 again and for him that must be difficult too accept !

I'm asking because I have a 16.5' 450sx-f F/E on a confirmed order and lately I've been seriously thinking perhaps I'd

have been better off and probably have more fun if I went with the 250. I should mention I'm a 50 year old union laborer

and have been getting a thorough workout, 10 hours a day, 5 days a week for the last 30 years, so stamina isn't a problem.

Thanks in advance, and hey I see we're friends on F/B now (Troy M)... that's pretty cool !

Edited by Lil_Dude

Hey Gary I have a questions for you, I get the Horsepower and engine braking aspects of the 450f vs. 250f debate...

As I'm 5'5 @ 160lbs and I ride an older crf450r, that thing "is a beast" compared to my buddies newer 250f for sure.

What I'm wondering is, with the 16' KTM 450sx-f being nearly a lite and supposedly handling almost as well the other

manufacturers 250Fs is it more the bike, or the fact that Marvin Musquin moved up and the competition is simply better ?

Last night in Anaheim Marvin blew the first turn (twice) with that said I still thought he fought thru the pack fairly well, all

though as you pointed out in your post, he did finish like 9th or 10 again and for him that must be difficult too accept !

I'm asking because I have a 16.5' 450sx-f F/E on a confirmed order and lately I've been seriously thinking perhaps I'd

have been better off and probably have more fun if I went with the 250. I should mention I'm a 50 year old union laborer

and have been getting a thorough workout, 10 hours a day, 5 days a week for the last 30 years, so stamina isn't a problem.

Thanks in advance, and hey I see we're friends on F/B now (Troy M)... that's pretty cool !

Hi Lil, I think Marvin has the 250 very deeply rooted in his sub-conscious mind and automatic reflexes. When the gate drops auto pilot takes over...hense the mistakes. In time he will get it under control. As far as your question...since you are small I think you'd have more fun on the 250. I hope this helps and it's not to late.

Good luck to you,

GS

• Like 1