Sign in to follow this  

Just picked up a '12 250XCF-W....now, what to do first?!?!?

The bike has just under 2000 miles (155 hrs).

As much as I want to take it out this weekend I'm thinking I should probably consider tearing into it and making sure everything is ok.....greased bearings, check valve clearances, etc...etc...

OR am I crazy, the bike is bullet proof/doesn't have that many hours/miles.....just ride it? 

Thoughts, comments, concerns????

Would be much appreciated, haven't been involved in dirty bikes for a long time so not in the circle of what the norm is on these things, educate me!?!?

The bike has just under 2000 miles (155 hrs).

I'd to the basics as you suggest. 150 hours could be like the hours on my 250XCF, just plonking though the woods, or it could be 150 hours of AA rider in hare scrambles. I expect to get 300 hours or more out of mine before it needs serious top end work. But the AA racer would have worn it out to really need all the usual top end stuff.

Get the shop manual. Even just the owners manual has all the key maintenance schedule times, common torque specs, etc. Your local KTM deal can get the CD with the manuals, and will probably just give you a copy of the Owners' guide

as pat said how hard is the time on the bike? if you don't know for sure , i would do a piston rings , cam chain , grease everything , at 155 why not do the suspension . it's a good feeling when everything is fresh and better safe then sorry . 

Edited by mx481

Well last weekend is over, what did you do?  I have an 08 xcfw

Sorry dude, I don't come on here that frequently.......I didn't do anything yet. I rode it the last weekend in November, iirc, and it seemed ok.....I'm in the middle of a couple projects at home, once I get them done I hope to get going on this bike.