Sign in to follow this  

CRF 250x fuel tank leak at petcock

The fuel line connection to the fuel tank is leaking on a 2008 crf 250x am trying to get running. It's been in a garage for 6 years.

I pulled the tank and soaked the filter and gasket in gas over night. I then out everything back together. It still leaks from the connection to the tank.

My question is, is it ok to epoxy the connection so it doesn't leak, or do I need to buy new fuel tank?

Thanks for your help.

The fuel line connection to the fuel tank is leaking on a 2008 crf 250x am trying to get running. It's been in a garage for 6 years.

I pulled the tank and soaked the filter and gasket in gas over night. I then out everything back together. It still leaks from the connection to the tank.

My question is, is it ok to epoxy the connection so it doesn't leak, or do I need to buy new fuel tank?

Thanks for your help.

How about a new gasket, or a whole petcock rebuild kit (just to make sure you get the leak).

I'd certainly try epoxy or something like that to start with before you get a new tank, the bottom fell/rotted out of my tank the night before a ride so I epoxied it up and it's still holding 3 or 4 rides later, well worth a try.  Perhaps not a permanent fix though.

2015-08-22.jpg

Take your old petcock to the local Motorcycle shop and replace it.  If your not in a hurry, then order it online.  Why are you risking a fuel leak right over a hot engine?

Verify where the leak is.  If it is the tank itself, they are made of (high-density polyethylene HDPE).  If it's cracked, you could try and plastic weld it.  Use the kit from harbor Freight (solder iron with shoe on it).  Epoxy or any other type of glue wont adhere properly to the HDPE.

There is an o-ring that sits at base of the petcock that seals it to the bottom of the tank.  They are prone to leaking as they age and this is likely your problem.  I had the same issue on my '07 X and replacing the o-ring fixed the leak.  I bought the OEM one from an online dealer, but I would think an auto parts store would have one that would work.

Edited by mossman77
  • Like 1

Thanks to everyone for the tips! I'm thinking try the o ring as it does seem old.