Sign in to follow this  

T stat removal on 14 exc 500?

Bike is running good. But wondering if this move would make sense.

Eliminating a potential point of failure. Increasing flow. Run cooler.

Anyone here done this? And what were your results? I DID do a search.....the posts were several years old and none specifically to the exc that I came across.

Edited by Positron

Anyone here done this? And what were your results? I DID do a search.....the posts were several years old and none specifically to the exc that I came across.

I did the thermostat bipass on mine, runs cooler but I also did other things at the same time so I can not say it was just doing that, that made the big difference.

IMG_20150927_140525871_zps4tspw01p.jpg

BDS ran a dyno with no thermo and found if temps fall below the 180 degree area , power falls off.

Needed to maintain that 180 degree plus range , thermo makes that happen.

probably not an issue if you don't ride higher speeds in the winter, where it will cool off fast, too a cool motor could also induce excessive unecessary wear.

• Like 1

I've had mine off since the get go. I needed to add a fan to get it to stop boiling.....not too concerned about it running too cool. 350EXC though.

Edited by KennyMc

Hard for me to imagine the motor getting too cold. The bike hasn't boiled over ever. It sure does exude a bit of heat after shutdown. I did swap the coolant out for Engine Ice.....as with the oil...there was not a lot of volume of coolant.

If it was close to 40 degrees...I probably wouldn't be out riding!

Thanks for the pics KAG.....that hose looks good.

Anyone here done this?.

Yes. My bud and I bought '12s at the same time 4 yrs ago this month. I did the thermo delete almost immediately with the samco sport hose kit (NICE FREAKEN HOSES), added Engine Ice, and he didn't. We ride southern AZ high desert year round (25F - 112F). In the winter if below freezing (rare, but it happens) I took care during warm-up (extra couple minutes) and then rode like normal all day. Both bikes fans 95% of the time come on at the same time. Just traded the bike in with no engine cooling issues and the same fluid I put in it about 3.5 years ago. With that in mind, I just bought a '16 and have no intentions at least at this time of doing the thermo delete, but I will run the Engine Ice in it. Not convinced it's that much more flow being removed as its wide open 99% of the time when running for me anyway as I do little to no slab. If you live and ride in a cold climate or do lots of slab I'd leave it on as it's there for a reason. If you're racing on the circuit, well, that's a different story.

On the eliminating one point of failure thought, what would the failure do? When the thermostats went bad in my older trucks and cars they would always fail in the open position. I'm assuming because of the spring but I'm no expert. So if I'm correct and the thermostats are similar, isn't the worst that could happen is it sticks open and it's like having no thermostat anyways?

Hmmm, so as the coolant comes to temperature it allows the spring to relax and increase flow. And this process modulates constantly as temps vary, or is it just open or closed?

I also thought that the xcw 500 does not come with a t stat. What is the reasoning behind that I wonder.

There is a t stat on the XC. Once the fluid is hot the t stat opens. Heat increases pressure and that pressure opens the t stat. Just as opening a cold radiator vs hot

If wrong someone correct me please

Edited by KAG

There is a t stat on the XC. Once the fluid is hot the t stat opens. Heat increases pressure and that pressure opens the t stat. Just as opening a cold radiator vs hot

If wrong someone correct me please

No, it's actually metal that deforms with heat.  The temperature causes the coil to contract opening the thermostat.  It will start opening at one temperature and be fully open a little warmer than that.