Sign in to follow this  

09 CRF450R solved my hard to start problem

I've had this bike for a few years and starting it cold was always a crap shoot. Sometimes it fired right up or it could take up to 30 kicks. I did everything; checked valves, new fuel filter, remap, new spark plug, new piston, different kicking methods, and still the same. Then I found a gas station close by that sells non-ethanol 92 and that did the trick. Now it starts right up and runs like a champ.

• Like 1

luck you, I have to drive 25-30 miles for it. There is a website ethanolfreegas.com where users can post stations that sell it.

Edited by ramjetV8

Interesting.  I live in the wonderful Republik of California and all we get is Ethanol gas.  I just sold my '09 CRF450 that I had for almost 4 years and I never had an issue with it starting.  Not contradicting what you found but still find it interesting.  Although I don't do it for a living anymore I Spent several years as an auto mechanic and owned some bike repair shops for years afterward and I can really attest to the fact that Ethanol really does wreak havoc on fuel systems, the stuff is awful.  One of the most common jobs was always a bike that was sitting for as little as a few months and would not start, when I would take the carb apart it looked like something that came off the ocean floor after 100 years.  I never used to see that before the move to ethanol in fuels.

I did some checking yesterday and found a place 20 minutes from me that sells 91 ethanol free. Now Im excited to try it. Any ideas on storage life? 

In my experience ( I switch between dirt bikes in the winter to jet-skis in the summer and end up with fuel in jugs stored, 2 stroke and 4 sroke) I get 3-6 months no problem if in an airtight container.

• Like 2

I have no ethanol problems but I use quicksilver marine fuel treatment all the time in the bikes and in the boat. If the bikes are going to set for more than 2-3 weeks I drain the carbs. If the gas is going to set over a year I drain it, but setting all winter the bikes run just fine in the spring and those tanks are vented. I keep the season left over in cans closed tight and then run that through the mower or snow blower. But whatever is left in the bikes just gets topped off with fresh and away we go. Carb drain plugs always look clean inside.

• Like 1