Sign in to follow this  

Highest gear wheelies?

Just wondering what the highest gear you can pull a wheelie up on a stock drz? Currently I can pull up 3rd gear at around 45mph without clutching up... Knowing that I'd think it possible to clutch up in 4th... Anyone able to do that? Just kind of wondering the limits of a stock drz :p

I'm putting in an fcr as soon as it comes in the mail, I think with that extra power I might be able to pull up in 4th with no clutch but just curious about other's experiences.

Just wondering what the highest gear you can pull a wheelie up on a stock drz? Currently I can pull up 3rd gear at around 45mph without clutching up... Knowing that I'd think it possible to clutch up in 4th... Anyone able to do that? Just kind of wondering the limits of a stock drz :p

I'm putting in an fcr as soon as it comes in the mail, I think with that extra power I might be able to pull up in 4th with no clutch but just curious about other's experiences.

E, S, SM, ? 

not that it matters, but there are some gearing differences ;-) 

E, S, SM, ?

not that it matters, but there are some gearing differences ;-)

I personally have an SM. Which in my mind would be harder to power up since it has a higher ratio for street.

I personally have an SM. Which in my mind would be harder to power up since it has a higher ratio for street.

Don't forget to take into account the differences in wheel/tire diameters when considering overall ratio. 

• Like 1

i'll stand mine up in reverse all day long... :ride:

honestly though, I can do them easy in 3rd from about 25-27mph with clutching it up.  SM model with 15/41 gearing, full pipe, 3x3, and jetted.  you pulling up around 45mph, are you standing on the taillight? lol. mine seems like it would run out of breath before it could pull it up enough.  4th gear, I've gotten the front end up cresting hills and hammering on it while pulling back, but nothing near balance point or anything that I can ride out for a distance...

Edited by rsvesnik

I have to do everything just right to lift a wheel in 1st. Sorry, but unless you're sitting on the tail light, I don't see it happening with a stock bike in 3rd....maybe the 220lbs is my problem, but still.

I have to do everything just right to lift a wheel in 1st. Sorry, but unless you're sitting on the tail light, I don't see it happening with a stock bike in 3rd....maybe the 220lbs is my problem, but still.

I feel like more weight helps.... I'm 265 so that isn't your problem. If you can barely pull up in first your problem is you are scared. I had the same issue. Just do wheelies whenever in first and they will get higher, then in second and get good at those then third. When I first got the bike (a month ago) I could only get the front an inch or 2 off the ground in first. In first and second I can pull them up from riding position but I sit back so I can hover the brake comfortably. Third struggles to get up but it does. If I clutched it up it would be a lot easier.

Also I'd like to add... I rode my buddies girlfriends big bored xr400r with a pumper carb in it which is otherwise stock and OMG I want a big bore now.... That thing was meant for one wheel. Power wheelies in first, second and third without trying to. I could easily pull 4th up on that beast with some effort.

not really.....did you forget the wheel diameter is smaller?

It's smaller but think about it... The SM can go much higher speeds than the S or E model because of the gearing. That right there shows that the S and E are built for lower speed power. The lower your top speed the higher the ratio therefor the harder the pull under power. More pull means easier wheelies.

Before you argue the higher speed thing, I have hit 110 on my stock SM while others complain they can barely hit 80 if even that on S or E models. It is ALL in the gearing.

It's smaller but think about it... The SM can go much higher speeds than the S or E model because of the gearing. That right there shows that the S and E are built for lower speed power. The lower your top speed the higher the ratio therefor the harder the pull under power. More pull means easier wheelies.

Before you argue the higher speed thing, I have hit 110 on my stock SM while others complain they can barely hit 80 if even that on S or E models. It is ALL in the gearing.

Please try a gps verifying run. You'll find that gearing doesn't matter nearly as much as an accurate speedometer. The drz's is somewhere between 10-15% high. 

GPS + a mile or two of road will show you might hit 93-95MPH with stock trim and a reallllly goooood tuck. Eeeking out the next 13-16 mph (goal of 110mph) is going to prove difficult. 

Pulling wheelies in x gear is just going to come down to technique. The actual top speed though, is limited by wind resistance and whatever power you have on tap. 

• Like 3

haha....ok.

• Like 2

me-1st clip wheelie 1st-4th

friend-2nd clip. clutches up in 4th@55mph with 15-41 and a 140-70 rosso 2 tire..only mod is full yoshi, still has CA emissions installed also

• Like 2

what gearing and tire size do you have??

i got it on video, my 150-60 s20 evo, tachs 5th gear at 105mph(twice)..in video when i hit 105 BOTH times, it tached out and i let off

• Like 1

what gearing and tire size do you have??

i got it on video, my 150-60 s20 evo, tachs 5th gear at 105mph(twice)..in video when i hit 105 BOTH times, it tached out and i let off

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EjtPGoNSQ2c

stock gearing and 150/60 rear. I don't tach out at 110 it just doesn't have power to push through the rest of 5th