Sign in to follow this  

XR250 Ticking or normal

Took this 2002 XR250 on partial trade and now I'm trying to sell it. I did a valve adjustment on the bike to see if I could improve the "tapping or clicking" sound you hear in this video.

I am more familiar with KTM and Yamaha engines, but this XR250 I do not know what is a typical sound. My guess is it could be time for a timing chain and new tensioner as well.

What do you think?

Thanks

Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjRKmh0mIxI

Oh man, double check the valves. 

Also, remove the phillips screw on the cam chain tensioner, then using a little flat head rotate the tensioner to try to tighten the chain some in an effort to verify that the tensioner is not out of adjustment or has a weak spring. You can do this while it is running to see if the tapping sound is reduced. 

When my tensioner got weak, combined with the big cam, it started to rattle like that. I converted it to a manual adjust. 

Oh man, double check the valves. 

Also, remove the phillips screw on the cam chain tensioner, then using a little flat head rotate the tensioner to try to tighten the chain some in an effort to verify that the tensioner is not out of adjustment or has a weak spring. You can do this while it is running to see if the tapping sound is reduced. 

When my tensioner got weak, combined with the big cam, it started to rattle like that. I converted it to a manual adjust. 

Agree with your first proposition

, but the rest of your tips is nonsense , sorry .

The Engine in the Video is as Bigace wrote a XR250 and has a totally different Cam chain tensioner .

On the XR 250 the chain tensioner is internal, there is no phillips screw or slott that you can turn to reduse the tension from the Chain and there is no way to convert this tensioner to manual .

What you discribe is for a XR400 or CRF Engine.

Sorry that i must correct you but if Bigace ask for help on a simple thing like Valve ajustment/noise your answer can confuse him.

@Bigace , make shure you have the Flywheel at the (T) mark . The right one , Flywheel turn twice to rotate camshaft once.

Your engine sound like you did the ajustment on the wrong position and your rockers are now to lose.

And only turn counterclockwise to get to this pos. never back .

google for XR valve ajustment , shure you find some video .

...a XR250 and has a totally different Cam chain tensioner .

Did not know this. Thought the 250 did have the same tensioner. Sorry for my post. 

Just went and looked at microfiche, feel like a jackass. 

Carry on. 

I would say very bad because my xr400 was doing that the other day on my way home about 15 minutes in just went bang and started smoking lost all power i took it to the shop a man pulled it apart and the piston had snapped the photo shows you where it broke ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1447759716.466622.jpg ill try and get a photo of the actual thing for you but I think that ticking noise is what caused this.

Thanks for all the replys. I'm probably going to take it in this weekend and see what a trained ear can find. I've tried and followed exactly what you've all said and still it's loud. I have better compression (or no leaking) now, but loudness.

1. Check the header to make sure there are no leaks.  There should be two copper crush washers where the header mates to the cylinder.  I've had this happen before where I needed a new crush washer because the old one would not seal up again.  It was making a hell of a lot of noise, and sounded like a big time valve train issue, but it ended up just being a really bad exhaust leak.  

2. If your cam chain is slapping around making that much noise, it has to be taking aluminum with it.  You could drain the oil through a filter and see if you catch anything.   There are also two screens separate from the oil filter to check for debris.  One on the bottom of the frame down tube where the oil is pulled from, and one in the bottom of the motor in the tunnel from the bottom of the crank case.  You could also take the valve cover off and check the chain for tension.  If its super loose you will feel it or see some sort of wear pattern out of the norm.  

3. When you adjusted the valves make sure that you follow the procedure in the book.  If you go past TDC make sure that you don't try to rotate it back the oppisite direction to get there make another rotation and start over.  You need to make sure that the decompression mechanism is not engaged when checking the valves or your adjustments will be way off.  

I have the exact same bike as you.  Mine makes quite a bit of noise, but not like yours.  

@cpetz24 thanks for the heads up.. I'll give it one last go and check those items out. I have a feeling these bikes just chatter more than I was use too, and so I tried to fix something that didn't need it.