Sign in to follow this  

Fitting Safari 17L Tank - what's needed to fit to a S Model?

$_12.JPG

As above, bought a used one, its going onto an S, I guess I need a rear rubber strap (off an E? ie one of the enclosed pictures - if so anyone have a spare they can post me?.

Does anyone have a picture of what the fitting kit is like so I can make the bits up?

Thanks

Edited by JDB427

Adapting a tank made to fit the E model to an S/SM is more complex than just a strap.  You need to fab some front mounts. Some people mount the E tank to an S supported on only 1 side but I would not to that with a 17L Safari tank.  Full of fuel it is heavy and needs all the support it can get.

I have this fitted on just sliding into the rubber bungs on the sides and I had lost the strap. It's holding up fine for me without the strap. 

I guess I misunderstood the question.  Clearly the Safari tank is designed to fit both the E and the S.  The rubber strap mentioned in the installation instructions is not the E model strap.  It is something provided by Safari to secure the rear of the tank.  You can probably improvise something to work.  Maybe a nylon wire tie or whatever they are called in the UK.

Thanks.

The strap in the first post is a UK E model strap, and I guess from the Safari description there's might be the same. I have emailed Safari for a picture.

DRZ S Kit 1.JPG

For future reference here is the picture supplied by Safari Australia for the DR400S fitting kit - price is AU$37..

All I actually need is the rubber strap - if anyone has one?

Thanks, sadly shipping to the UK is US $20.83.

I will buy a used one in the UK or just use a zip tie!

Start with the zip-tie and keep an eye on sites that sell this sort of stuff, it will come up sooner or later.

Just for the record, my Clark tank holds an a measured 16 litres, even though it is rated for something less(closer to 14L) and has proven very durable, except for the cap, which needs replacement after 5-6 years.

Start with the zip-tie and keep an eye on sites that sell this sort of stuff, it will come up sooner or later.

Just for the record, my Clark tank holds an a measured 16 litres, even though it is rated for something less(closer to 14L) and has proven very durable, except for the cap, which needs replacement after 5-6 years.

Thanks. I trial fitted it with some fuel in for weight and it's touching on the left hand rad guards, so have ordered some adhesive foam.  There is more movement than I expected so will see if I can add some more foam to the main chassis rail under the centre of the tank to pad it out.  As the tank has the mounts for the E model (ie 2 recessed screw threads on each side in the tank) - I might see if I can fabricate some additional supports/strength.

Only observation so fas is that to get the remaining fuel out of the right hand side (as there is no petcock) is to lay the bike down - which is a bit of a shame.  Two petcocks in the 17L would seem the obvious solution (and design flaw).

With the Clarke tank the bouncing off-road gets the majority of the fuel over to the petcock side, but the last bit I would need to lay the bike over too, if I was that close to max range