Sign in to follow this  

Already Re-jetted, worth it to do 3x3?

Hello! A few months back I bought a 2013 DRZ-400sm that came with a full Yoshi exhaust and the carb already re-jetted. Got it for a amazing deal of $4900, less than 1k miles! (I've rode it about 800 miles since i've bought it, no problems) I honestly don't know a lot about mechanical but i'm being told by my buddy that if I do the 3x3 mod, i'll have to re-jet again (because of increased air-flow). I'm just wondering if it's still worth it to do the 3x3 mod.

Thanks!

Sounds like you got a fairly good deal. You'll probably get plenty of replies on this. It'd be nice to know what size jets are in there now, whatever they are, you could probably use some airbox mod, maybe not 3X3, but something. Have you pulled sparkplug to see how it's running? Black is to rich, a real light tan or gray too lean, ideally, where the spark occurs should be light, the rest darker

Rejetting is in my opinion easy and interesting to do. And punching the hole is clearly a good thing. The motor just isn't going to be able to breathe FULLY with the restriction there. I'm sure it rides just fine with the restriction but you do feel the difference.

- Do you know what jets / jet kit is in there? Did you get the box & info with it?

I'd wait and consider a bit if you have to splurge $75 on a whole new jet kit. Maybe do it maybe not. No rush at least.

It's an easy mod if you ever decide to do it.

Well I know it's not difficult, just don't want to waste money on a jet kit right now, so doing it would be pointless until I do get another jet kit

If it was originally fit with a jet kit when it was "jetted" you have a needle with an adjustable c-clip which is the important part of the kit and all that would be needed is a larger main jet (a few bucks at your dealer) when you make a 3x3 hole. To know whether you need a whole new kit at this point requires looking in the carb and figuring out what needle you have and the current jetting.

Edited by npm
  • Like 1