Sign in to follow this  

Is there an easier way to split cases?

So I was thinking last night of another easier way to split cases and I thought if you were to take off the top end,remove stator, sprocket and all the screws holding the cases together wouldn't they split and then the transmission would be held in the right case?

So I was thinking last night of another easier way to split cases and I thought if you were to take off the top end,remove stator, sprocket and all the screws holding the cases together wouldn't they split and then the transmission would be held in the right case?

What you're asking is unclear.

If you sit the RHS case down on your bench and remove the LHS case, yes the gears should sit on their shafts in turn sitting in the RHS case.

Does that answer your question? I recommend you buy or make a case splitter tool and buy a rubber mallet and some patience.

To do any further work the 'box will need to come out. Try not to get grit in the bearings.

• Like 1

I think you meant "long wait".

By the time they realise that asking for the long weight will be a long wait they've worked out where to buy the patience.

• Like 1

I think there are scwews inside right side case that hold it together .Its been a   while since I spit cases.

Exactly. And the easiest way to split cases is to pay the guy that has the proper tools to do it while I stand there drinking a beer. That's the easiest way I have found so far.

A case splitter is a great investment if you regularly blow engines up like I do  :devil:

buuuuuut if you're cheep, get some longish bolts, some nuts, and deep well sockets. 3-4 of those puppies and you can slowly lift one case off the other without torquing the bearings. 

• Like 1

Can't comment on newer models but my ktms didn't need a splitter. Just tap apart with a mallet. So spimple. Slip fit on main bearings.

• Like 1

Can't comment on newer models but my ktms didn't need a splitter. Just tap apart with a mallet. So spimple. Slip fit on main bearings.

I think two strokes need a crank puller and splitter. four strokes everything just slides apart, except for crank bearings are interference fit into cases.

I think two strokes need a crank puller and splitter. four strokes everything just slides apart, except for crank bearings are interference fit into cases.

I split both a 300 and 380 without puller

yes, you will want to take off the clutch and crank gear on the other side first, assuming you just need to pull the crank.

secure the gears to the tyranny shafts or they will all find a way to go flying off as well.

Use a splitter and a joiner, some models you can usually get away with out it, but when you cant and force it because you don't have the right tools you will be sorry.

• Like 1

Case splitter is your best bet. But in all honesty. If the works of a motor would be easier. I'd call out the Axe from the shed and split the case with the Axe. But I enjoy riding. And being a 15 year old I don't exactly have the money to um. DESTROY CASES. But that's just humor. Case splitter. And if your not confident. Find a buddy who has done it before and have him help you.