Sign in to follow this  

Change from KDX

I've decided to sell my KDX and try something different. I've had it nearly a year and while I like it I'm ready for a change. The bike isn't really holding me back, I'm just out messing around with friends and riding with my kids and wife.

I want a bike that has a little better suspension, and I'm looking for a 4 stroke this time hopefully with e-start.

The KDX is plenty fast for me and I don't really have a need for more power. The bike is torquey for a 2t but it doesn't compare to the XR400 I had.

Is there another bike that has a little better suspension (mainly the front) that has the good off idle power like the XR? I thought about looking for another one but the more modern bikes like a WR250f have me intrigued too. I'm okay with making a lateral move power wise. I know you guys riding 250 2t's are gonna laugh but I want something with smoother tractable power than the KDX. I'd say half of my time riding is following my son around in first gear and the other half is going out with a few buddies at a faster (faster is relative here lol) pace.

So, XR250/400 with pumper carb and suspension mods or WR/CRF250X? I'm 6'1" and about 205lbs, 31, and probably a C rider.

The main reason I sold the XR4 was that starting it after laying it down was a 20 minute ordeal. That's why I was thinking I'd go with the button, but supposedly a pumper carb would have solved that issue.

I think the XR's are great bikes, but the the 2004 400 is basically the same as a 96. Same with my KDX, it's the same as a 95 KDX besides being a 220. I'm ready to move into the 21st century.

Edited by JFortner5

I forgot the most important part, budget is about $2500 max. It's probably gonna be a 5-10 year old machine.

Id would just remember to put aside 3-4 hundred dollars to buy replace worn parts on the bike when budgeting, its a downer but i always do when I'm buying used. I never spend my top dollar on the bike, because when i go look at the bike ill see what needs replaced and can budget appropriately. if 2500 is your max, and your 4 stroke set, id say look in the 2300-2400 range and offer 2100 leave yourself some cushion cash in case anything needs repaired.

that being said, id recommend an older crf250x but post 06, pre were valve eaters, my dad and uncle both have one and they are fun bike once they have been opened up, there is a list of free mods you can do to these things to help them breathe a little better and it wakes the bike up. My uncle uses his to follow his 6 year old around on flats and small hill, to follow his 12 year old around the track, and then uses it to to ride with my dad, its not the fastest bike but it will go where ever he wants. 

250x has more torque down low than the WR. the WR likes to scream up top. Both are great bikes and I think would serve you well. At your budget id probably look for a 250x.

• Like 1

250x has more torque down low than the WR. the WR likes to scream up top. Both are great bikes and I think would serve you well. At your budget id probably look for a 250x.

Being a baller on a budget aint easy.

• Like 4

I've seen some decent looking bikes right around the $2k mark. I've got extra money set aside for maintenance and repairs.

I'm a little leery about buying a "race" 4 stroke but I don't really want another smoker right now.

I know it isn't as much fun as getting a 'new' bike, but why not do a few tweaks to the KDX?  Like stiffer fork springs, heavier for oil ... both pretty cheap and will stiff up the front end.  Have you played around with jetting?  And there are other engine mods you can do to clean up and improve the power.  

The concern I would have is with a $2K 250 four stroke you are taking a risk on some fairly expensive engine work.  Maybe prices are cheaper where you live, but to get one that cheap it usually is when a guy is tired of dealing with it.  The super clean, "only got 10 hours on it" bikes cost much more than that.  

• Like 3

I know it isn't as much fun as getting a 'new' bike, but why not do a few tweaks to the KDX?  Like stiffer fork springs, heavier for oil ... both pretty cheap and will stiff up the front end.  Have you played around with jetting?  And there are other engine mods you can do to clean up and improve the power.  

The concern I would have is with a $2K 250 four stroke you are taking a risk on some fairly expensive engine work.  Maybe prices are cheaper where you live, but to get one that cheap it usually is when a guy is tired of dealing with it.  The super clean, "only got 10 hours on it" bikes cost much more than that.  

i hate to say it but i agree, i held off a few years on my 450 and just put money into my cr and it lasted another 3 years better and i still love the bike

Too late now the KDX sold a few hours ago. I could have put some money in it but honestly I just want something different.

I don't know exactly what I'm gonna get yet but when something catches my eye I'll jump on it. Part of me likes buying and selling bikes as much as riding. I like trying out different things. I suppose one day I'll find one I really love and keep it.

Eventually I'll convince the wife I need two bikes lol.

• Like 1

What about a DRZ-e? Too heavy? I didn't mind the weight of the XR too much but don't think I'd want something that feels heavier.

I'm still leaning toward the 250f's. I'm not in a hurry and I'm willing to stretch the budget some if I need to.

📎6ea2f6eb5827383073c35fc6e359d58d.jpgWorried about bike weight? Time to hit the gym!

It wouldn't hurt for me to hit the gym, but I don't want to wrestle a near 300lb bike through single track either.  I'm kind of back to square one.  I'm reconsidering my 4 stroke only requirement too.  I haven't ruled them out, but I am still kind of worried about buying somebody's neglected bike and then having a major failure.  

I'm leaning toward going with an orange bike, maybe a 200EXC or 400EXC.  I had a 250EXC 2t but honestly it was a little too much for me.  Alot of people always recommend a 250 2t for somebody my size but I don't think I'm ready for or want that much power.  

Get another XR and burn that crash start routine to your memory. Whenever I dump mine I pull decompression lever in a hold the throttle wide open for a few kicks. Then get back to starting it properly.

I actually toyed around with getting a KDX but I just love the smooth tractor like power of that XR. Plus it's easy to putt around when I'm riding with my son.

• Like 1

I know you said $stroke but have you considered a KTM 200?

Reading is difficult, I know. Oh look, he did mention the KTM 200. 

I'm leaning toward going with an orange bike, maybe a 200EXC or 400EXC.  I had a 250EXC 2t but honestly it was a little too much for me.  Alot of people always recommend a 250 2t for somebody my size but I don't think I'm ready for or want that much power.  

Reading is difficult, I know. Oh look, he did mention the KTM 200.

my apologies, I think that would be a wonderful choice, more power, better suspension, light weight. Cheap, very easy to maintain

I'm 6'1" and about 205lbs, 31, and probably a C rider.

Both the KDX200 and XR400 both feel small size wise to me. I'm 6'2" and like taller/larger bikes. 

You've tried the 250EXC and it was too fast. Your budget is $2,500 and you want a button. Nothing available like that where I live.