Sign in to follow this  

led headlights burning out

i picked up a pair of 4x4 inch 32 watt led lights from a friend  , and used them to replace the headlight on my xl that didnt work , while not a perfect fit stock is 4x6 , they worked awsome were bright as could be and i could actually see 

the problem is the first one burnt out in 3 days , so i installed the second one and have it wired to my hi/lo switch , high = on and in the low position its off , this light lasted a few weeks , but the other day i went to start the bike on the first kick the headlight lit up and then went out when the bike didnt start , on the second kick the bike started and the headlight never came back on.

what would cause the led lights to burn out ?

Voltage surge is a good possibility.  LEDs just can't replace a regular bulb oftentimes on a vehicle.

Voltage surge is a good possibility.  LEDs just can't replace a regular bulb oftentimes on a vehicle.

i did remove the battery from my xl , when i bought the bike the battery was shot and the bike wouldnt run with it connected , since the bike ran without it i never bought a new one to put back in in the bike, would putting one back in solve the issue?

the led headlight is so nice i really want to put one back on but not if im going to keep burning them up ,

This^, I'm on pain meds and couldn't remember that word. :smirk:

i did remove the battery from my xl , when i bought the bike the battery was shot and the bike wouldnt run with it connected , since the bike ran without it i never bought a new one to put back in in the bike, would putting one back in solve the issue?

How did you alter the wiring harness so the bike would run without the battery? LEDs run best with a clean, steady DC power delivery. The battery provides that. Without it, the lighting system sees the fluctuations in current with the different engine RPMs. The lighting system needs to be fed from the battery, not straight off the reg/rec. If you don't want to install a battery, the proper size capacitor can serve the same function.

Edited by Trailryder42

How did you alter the wiring harness so the bike would run without the battery? LEDs run best with a clean, steady DC power delivery. The battery provides that. Without it, the lighting system sees the fluctuations in current with the different engine RPMs. The lighting system needs to be fed from the battery, not straight off the reg/rec. If you don't want to install a battery, the proper size capacitor can serve the same function.

i didnt touch anything in the wiring harness i just disconected the battery and removed it and the bike ran fine after that , i have plans to put a battery back on the pike since i have to add an electric fuel pump for the turbo install