Best aftermarket cooling method

First and foremost getting it jetted right is a must.   The CRF's come way lean from the factory, which will make a motor run hot.

As far as the JD kit, I don't understand your comment.   The JD Kit works from '04 - '15:

https://www.jdjetting.com/xcart/product.php?productid=3

The only real difference on the '07 to latter model years is the AP setup was changed.

After that, I guess it depends on why your getting hot.  If you do slow technical stuff, then a fan cannot be beat, although you don't need the trail tech kit; you can do it yourself if you want.

Jim.

After reading rick Ramsey's reports he found that the jd kits may not be as effective in the 07 as they were in earlier models even though they would fit.

As far as the JD kit, I don't understand your comment.   The JD Kit works from '04 - '15:

https://www.jdjetting.com/xcart/product.php?productid=3

The only real difference on the '07 to latter model years is the AP setup was changed.

After that, I guess it depends on why your getting hot.  If you do slow technical stuff, then a fan cannot be beat, although you don't need the trail tech kit; you can do it yourself if you want.

Jim.

I have the Cooling fan and the boyesen supercooler kit. When I ride very slow in first or second speed, the coolant is around 175 F, no fan needed. But like Jim said, in the very technical stuff with a lot of clutch drag the best is the fan.

1- Good jetting
2- Cooling fan (with good battery)
3- Boyesen kit, check at this link, one kit for 104$,  http://www.boyesen.com/overstock.php?machine_type=Mx/Offroad/Mini&make=&class=&product_category=&pic=

4- Ride more faster :bonk:

Someone already said that ride with a less restrictive exhauts help to keep the engine colder. I never test it but make sense. In this way, old clogged silencer can causing heat to build up inside the engine?

I don't want start an new topic but I am not a big fan of Engine Ice. Thermal exchange of propylene glycol (engine ice) is not as good than ethylene glycol (conventional coolant)
I made some test between Engine ice and Pro Honda HP Coolant and with Engine Ice, the coolant is 7-8 F colder but the engine run 7-8 F hotter vs HP coolant. Correct me if am wrong but we want a colder engine?

After reading rick Ramsey's reports he found that the jd kits may not be as effective in the 07 as they were in earlier models even though they would fit.

um...don't understand why.  It's the same carb.   '07 and prior did have a slow air jet, so that would complicate tuning a bit, but it's still the same carb.

Jim.

I didn't mention coolant because you have to be moving for it to be effective<g>

and if you are, personally I don't feel there's a major difference between the types, although some swear by engine ice and others.  

Personally I think the biggest thing is they are non-toxic, which is nice if you spill it in the woods.

Jim.

The biggest variable for engine cooling is air flow thru the radiators, adding a fan insures air flow at slow bike speeds.  I have a TT fan kit on my X and a TT Vapor to monitor coolant temps.  Normal riding you will never overheat or need the fan, ride slow or long steep slow climbs and the fan will come on.  Never had an overheat event.  I'm running stock water pump, JD jetting, CCC mods, and stock muffler with the insert and a down turned tip.

The TT fan kit is an easy install and has a digital coolant temp gauge and adjustable thermostat for the fan.  TT only lists the fan for the CRF450 but it is the same fan as used on the CRF250. I wired mine to the battery and it only runs for a short time after shutting off the engine, less than 1/2 minute, so not an impact to battery life.

You don't need special coolants, just use Honda recommended antifreeze with distilled water and once a year flush with distilled water and replace with fresh antifreeze.  Distilled water is available at Walmart for about 70 cents per gallon.

Good buy for overheat protections.

That fan is small at 4.7", is a computer case fan and not weather proof. But should hold up pretty well in the protected space behind a radiator. Since air flow is the biggest problem when overheating that will prob be all the protection you need.

My X has never overheated with a fan, I have another water cooled dirt bike with a fan and it also has never overheated.

Good buy for overheat protections.

That fan is small at 4.7", is a computer case fan and not weather proof. But should hold up pretty well in the protected space behind a radiator. Since air flow is the biggest problem when overheating that will prob be all the protection you need.

My X has never overheated with a fan, I have another water cooled dirt bike with a fan and it also has never overheated.

"small" ?...full width of radiator

That same guy sells a water proof fan, but it's less CFM, and for $10 what's to loose ?

He has a vid of it...submerged and running :eek:

Had to run a ground wire to the thermal switch, as the rad core was marginal

just sayin'

?

Edited by Kenstone

• 2 weeks later...

"small" ?...full width of radiator

That same guy sells a water proof fan, but it's less CFM, and for $10 what's to loose ?

He has a vid of it...submerged and running :eek:

Had to run a ground wire to the thermal switch, as the rad core was marginal

just sayin'

?

So here's the pic of the install

IMG_0808_zps6rbwmjmp.jpg

This cost less than $20 total

just sayin'

?

• 3 weeks later...

Personally I'd go for the water proof fan.   It's only $10 more.   One replacement and your break even already, two and your ahead of the game.

Besides washing, what happens if you dump the bike over in water?  Plus I would think that a waterproof fan is sealed up better and would last longer; I can see dust blowing through the radiator now<g>.

I don't think the CFM differential is significant enough to warrant getting the other.  I'd much rather have a fan that holds up.

Jim.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

This is a bit of a side note, and does not answer what is best but...

If you are going with the aftermarket coolant take a look at the Peak Sierra Antifreeze or the LowTox version that you can get at the auto supply store.  Both have the family and/or golden retriever on the label as somehow that says "safe" to people I guess.  About $18 for a gallon of the less toxic stuff, it is made of propylene glycol so it has the higher heat capacity that people go for with the pre mixed motorcycle version.  You have to mix it with dionized water 50/50, but that will cost you all of $0.97 just about anywhere for a gallon.  I think the pre-mix moto stuff is about $20 for a 1/2 gal of pre mix.  So for the same price you get 4x the amount.  If you change it out once per year that could last quite a while.  Rinse the system with 50/50 dionized water and vinegar in between change outs to keep any scale down in the system and that should keep things in good shape.

As to the above, I have done the low tox, I have bigger radiators (due to crushing the old ones), plan to do the low cost fan above (thanks for that), and not a bad idea to look at a higher pressure cap.  WIth the bigger radiators and low tox stuff I have had fewer heat issues when in the super low speed stuff.  Of course opening up the airbox and re-jetting so it was not so lean probably helped out more.

• 4 weeks later...