Sign in to follow this  

Help turning on trails and burms

I was out riding AZ trails and I have a hard time doing 90 degree turns while riding fast. Do I lean the bike into the turn and put weight on my outside or inside foot? And on burms do I downshift and lean up on the bike with my foot out. Any tips to doing those faster. Thanks

Elbows out with weight on the outside peg, knee's clinched to the tank. Try to be smooth and on a nice line when you go into the awkward trail turns, it may feel slower at first but that's how I do it, i'm not a pro though ;). The type of dirt you're riding on matters, if it's really sandy I personally don't "lean up" when taking a berm corner, i stay more neutral and try to keep my speed up. 

Stick the tires hard into the line you want in the berm, then power to stick it further in, lean, and keep the power on out.  For 90*, stick it hard in the turn, some brake, then power out with controlled slide.  I'm in NM, so some of our terrain os probably similar.  What I just said works great in my high desert terrain.

Edit:  As for downshifting in the turn, I never use the clutch, helps keep the power on.

Edited by cjjeepercreeper

For 90*, stick it hard in the turn, some brake, then power out with controlled slide.

That's worded a little confusing. But I think I know what you mean, cause I do that too. Stick it hard into the turn, some brake to introduce a controlled slide to bring the rear end around, then power out. Steer with the rear!

• Like 2

That's worded a little confusing. But I think I know what you mean, cause I do that too. Stick it hard into the turn, some brake to introduce a controlled slide to bring the rear end around, then power out. Steer with the rear!

Lol, I'm on pain meds.

Use your front brake ever so slightly . like CJ said don't use the clutch when going into corners. Just downshift without it. It doesn't hurt the bike I don't think. Then again haha. But different bikes also call for different riding styles. So maybe you want to hit the corner in a neutral position. But over time you'll accustom yourself . maybe go to an MX school . that sure helped me.

Use your front brake ever so slightly . like CJ said don't use the clutch when going into corners. Just downshift without it. It doesn't hurt the bike I don't think. Then again haha. But different bikes also call for different riding styles. So maybe you want to hit the corner in a neutral position. But over time you'll accustom yourself . maybe go to an MX school . that sure helped me.

Its a constant mesh trans, won't hurt it at all.

Just because it is constant mesh, it still needs to leave the pawl notch and go into the other side pawl. the edges of the pawls are what get worn by shifting sloppy. I am not saying your downshifts are sloppy, just saying constant mesh tranys can get foobar..