Sign in to follow this  

Front and rear sprocket configuration

Depends on how technical your trails are and how slow you want to go without having to slip the clutch.. 13/50 is a good combo. I go 13/52 on high country granite boulder stuff. 

Final drive ratio also depends on personal riding styles,

some people love to rev, some lug the engine/shortshift, or feather the clutch a lot , etc.

Mostly single track in Colorado, a few trips a year out in Moab.

13/52 is the best combo I've used for steep & tight singles on my XC. Not sure how it would be combined with your XCW transmission. From the previous comments it sure seems like a great place to start.  :thumbsup:

I run 12 /52 technical all single track, Do most climbing in 3rd. 300 XCW 2016

Are you guys running a 200? Oem shows 14-48 which is my current configuration. Problem I have are step-ups and steep switch backs. Even in first I seem to be lacking power. I have my jetting set right. Any thoughts??

I run 12 /52 technical all single track, Do most climbing in 3rd. 300 XCW 2016

So what do you even use 1st for then? I have yet to find a real trail I can not climb in 1st with 13/50. 

we ride very extreme conditions. never use first unless crawling through rocks.

12/52 I run 3rd and 4th most all day.  some of the 250,s are running 12/53

12/52 I run 3rd and 4th most all day.  some of the 250,s are running 12/53

That's pretty inefficient if you ask me.  All you're doing by running that kind of gearing is chewing up your chain and sprockets much faster than if you ran a more conventional setup.  So you run 3rd and 4th all day, so that just means if you ran realistic gearing, you'd be in 2nd and 3rd all day instead.

• Like 1

Are you guys running a 200? Oem shows 14-48 which is my current configuration. Problem I have are step-ups and steep switch backs. Even in first I seem to be lacking power. I have my jetting set right. Any thoughts??

I run 14/49, Colorado and Moab. Tried 14/50 but wasn't good for higher speed stuff

That combo, with a MILLED head (also an oval bore carb but that helps the top end power) allows me to get the front end up at will in almost any gear, and with proper power valve setting I have good torque without a violent hit. She hauls the mail.

Edited by tigertiger

not hardly, the tire  stays glued with great traction. chains sprockets in the single track speeds don't show any wear at all. been running this since 09.you care to come climb with us?