Sign in to follow this  

Riding to deal with stresses. Who else is with me?

Well. Yesterday my pet yorkie was in an accident and her lungs were collapsed around 25 hours ago. Woke in the middle of the night to a phone call from the emergency vet that she had passed away. At 1:30 am. I was and still am devastated. All I have thought about is riding since and I am truly screwed up emotionally right now. So I thought about it and decided to make a TT thread about riding to rid stress. I know it works for me. It is just getting a focus on something else than the death of my puppy. Who else rides to deal with stress/anxiety?

Well. Yesterday my pet yorkie was in an accident and her lungs were collapsed around 25 hours ago. Woke in the middle of the night to a phone call from the emergency vet that she had passed away. At 1:30 am. I was and still am devastated. All I have thought about is riding since and I am truly screwed up emotionally right now. So I thought about it and decided to make a TT thread about riding to rid stress. I know it works for me. It is just getting a focus on something else than the death of my puppy. Who else rides to deal with stress/anxiety?

Sorry to hear about your pup.  Riding and running, 2 great stress relievers. ;)

• Like 1

Sorry to hear about your pup. Riding and running, 2 great stress relievers. ;)

yeah man. Binge watching TV shows and binging TT is what I've been doing haha.

I ride to deal with stress. It seems like when I'm out there, there's nothing on my mind and all my problems go away for a while

same. You get to focus on 1 thing for a few hours and its just heaven when your not thinking about everything else.
  • Like 1

I've noticed I do more wheelies, stoppies and general 'hooligan' stuff whenever I'm stressed. Always puts the biggest smile on my face. Probably has to do with the whole paying 100% attention to what I'm doing and not thinking about the bs in the world.

sorry to hear it man...

Researchers: Motorcycle riding makes you smarter

By Kizito Lubano Updated Wednesday, November 11th 2015 at 10:30 GMT +3

My friend who rides his motorcycle to work nearly every day says it’s not only fun but very convenience in the major traffic. Turns out he also may be turning into an evil genius with a dangerous amount of mental processing power. This is after researchers found that motorcycling makes you smarter.
Dr Ryutu Kawashima of the University of Tokyo conducted experiments comparing riders who currently rode motorcycles on a regular basis with ex-riders who once rode regularly but had not taken a ride for 10 years or more. Kawashima asked the participants to ride on courses in different conditions while he recorded their brain activities. The eight courses included a series of curves, poor road conditions, steep hills, hair-pin turns and a variety of other challenges.
What did he find? After an analysis of the data, Kawashima found that the current riders and ex-riders used their brain in radically different ways. When the current riders rode motorcycles, specific segments of their brains (the right hemisphere of the pre-frontal lobe) was activated and riders demonstrated a higher level of concentration.
His next experiment was a test of how making a habit of riding a motorcycle affects the brain. Trial subjects were otherwise healthy people who had not ridden for 10 years or more. Over the course of a couple of months, those riders used a motorcycle for their daily commute and in other everyday situations while Dr Kawashima and his team studied how their brains and mental health changed.
The upshot was that the use of motorcycles in everyday life improved cognitive faculties, particularly those that relate to memory and spatial reasoning capacity. An added benefit? Participants revealed on questionnaires they filled out at the end of the study that their stress levels had been reduced and their mental state changed for the better.
So why motorcycles? Shouldn’t driving a car have the same effect as riding a motorcycle?
“A car is a comfortable machine which does not activate our brains. It only happens when going across a railway crossing or when a person jumps in front of us,” he said.

http://www.standardmedia.co.ke/lifes...es-you-smarter
Edited by THUMPERRRR
  • Like 1

I've noticed I do more wheelies, stoppies and general 'hooligan' stuff whenever I'm stressed. Always puts the biggest smile on my face. Probably has to do with the whole paying 100% attention to what I'm doing and not thinking about the bs in the world.

same. I used to not be able to wheelie then high school started a couple of years ago and now I'm a master

Exercise of any kind seems to make critical problems seem almost trivial. Riding is my favorite form of exercise.   :ride:

Really sorry to hear about your pup. Very sad. Hang in there, and ride careful when you are tired.

Definitely, riding a dirt bike is great to deal with stress.

I also do it.

I saw my big brother die in front of my eyes, and the only time in my whole life that I feel happy, focused, and forget about the rest of the world, is when I ride my dirt bike.

• Like 3

Thanks everyone. I try to wheelie but I dont want to loop out and end up on my @$$

hey I guarantee if you loop it out there will be a few seconds where you will forget all about your stress in your life! sorry about your loss man.

• Like 1

When you are riding aggressively, you can only focus on the task at hand. Wandering thoughts are out of the question. That's one of the things I really love about dirtbikes.

Sorry for your loss. Yorkies are so small and delicate. My brother has one and I am very paranoid to be around it. If I'm not watching my every step, it could easily get smashed.

May your next dog be a 100 lb yellow lab. They can take small children out with a happy wag of the tail.

I try not to get/be stressed out at all, so riding is all the better. 62 years stupid and still loving dirt bikes.

I'm sorry to hear that you lost a family member. When that day comes that my pup passes on, I'm going to fall apart. Sorry dude.

My wife has even figured out that riding relieves stress. If I start having one of those Snickers moments, being all Diva like, she tells me to go ride. I'm a whole new man when I return home. Beaten, bruised and broken up but carefree and happy.

• Like 1

OP,

Very sorry to hear about the loss of your pup, best friend, and foster family member.. I have two, and love them both dearly. I dread the day that I lose either of them, but I know it's coming. 

As another TT member has already stated, "Running and Riding" is also a huge stress outlet for me. I run 6 to 8 miles per day, 30 to 50 miles per week depending on how I feel. Running actually burns more stress for me personally, but allows me to be one with my bike when I'm riding. Any stress remaining that I don't burn off while running, I burn it while I'm riding.

Hopefully you will cheer up after some time passes and you have mourned the loss of your pup.

I attached some pic's with my "little guy" laying right up next to me and my bike when I'm working on them. Sometimes he will be right in the way, but I don't dare move him.. I just find another area to clean on my bike, or go do something else until he moves. He is the true apple of my eye, always happy to see me, and is never far away.!

Cheers

0225141612d.jpg

0225141613a.jpg

0225141613b.jpg

0225141614.jpg

0225141614b.jpg

0516151635.jpg

0516151635a.jpg

0516151635b.jpg

• Like 1

Ya dude - My cat has owned me for 15 years and I love the little bugger more than most girl friends I've had and I will be devastated when he eventually moves on.

Extremely sorry for your loss.

For me biking is a hugely mental sport and my best rides are always when I can zone out completely