Sign in to follow this  

83 yz125 should I buy what should I know

Found a 83 yz 125 on Craigslist talked the guy down to 250 needs piston from what he says and his add but I think it may need more he sad it was locked up but moves free now just no comp and thats what scares me why was it locked ...cylinder could be scared... Should I pull the trigger gonna put my gf on it in the trails

depending on the old owner you may be in for a total rebuild.

also check around to see how easy parts are to find.

not sure if 83 cylinders were plated or not,  if not you can get it honed or bored out.

A 32 year old dirtbike is better left for someone who will tear it apart and restore it 100%

perhaps ride it very occasionaly at vintage race events but not be their main bike.

For a reliable trail bike take won't require a lot of searching to find replacement parts, rather look for something more recent.

Hard to find used parts could eventually end up costing more to buy than more common parts off newer bikes.

Depending on her height, a YZ125 doesn't make for a good GF trail bike either (revvy engine and tall seat height)

a more user friendly TT-R or CRF-F of the right size would be a wiser choice.

Those type of entry level bikes also keep a good resale value, if ever she wants to move up to a bigger bike or decides dirtbiking isn't her thing.

Edited by mlatour

Could be a homerun, $250. Might only need a hone and rings. Hard to tell, if it was bad you could part it out and make some money. I agree it's probably not the greatest idea for a girlfriend bike.