Sign in to follow this  

Too much oil?

I've got a 96' KTM 250EXC. I recently changed to a cheaper mix oil due to lack of funds. I've made one batch and it just sucks. I would assume there's too much oil causing it to run lean. Upon startup it smokes like crazy. From there it has a hell of a time trying to reach the powerband and once it does it feels really week. Does this mean I'm running lean? I also looked at my new spark plug after one quick ride and it was completely dry so that's another sign.

Edited by liambacon69

Drain the fuel switch to good quality fresh 91-93 octane in a clean container mixed 32:1 using proper measuring tool

If that doesn't work then in order check

Airfilter ----> exhaust packing/exhaust leaks ----> carb cleanliness ---- > reeds/compression

Two strokes in dirtbikes riden properly i.e. Not idled around in the woods are pretty insensitive to oil ratio 1:16 to 1:50 will not make it run exceptionally different as long as it wasn't tuned at the very limit of lean or rich except long term too much oil will cause spooging and difficult starting low oil will cause excessive wear .

What was the original premix ratio on that engine ?

If you alter the premix ratio, there is a chance the jetting will be off.

That's also an old engine, when was it last fully refurbished?

A few things can contribute to excessive blue smoke appart from too rich jetting:

Worn reeds, low compression, worn top end, damaged RH crankshaft seal, saturated silencer packing.

The new oil used could simply have a higher flash point than the previous quality one used.

Whiteish smoke is moisture, if persistent it could indicate an internal coolant leak.

Since you are live in the North East, you also have another variables going on these days,

the cooler fall weather make's your bike run leaner, and makes a higher flash point premix oil harder to burn off.

Below is a handy link on how to read spark plugs,

also just because it's a two-stroke doesn't mean the plug's tip should be oily,

a well jetted 2-stroke has a bone dry plug, with only some oil present on the plug's threads.

link:  http://www.braigasen.com/howtoread.htm

image002.jpg

Edited by mlatour
  • Like 1