Sign in to follow this  

Better than grip glue, plus safety wiring your grips

Reading around and found that many of the current grip glues are essentially rebranded Krazy Glue. The biggest complaint is that they set way too fast.

Today I bought some LOCTITE Go2 Gel for $4.50 at Lowes. It sets in two hours and fully cures in 24 hours. It worked perfectly. I put about ten 1" deep beads around the inside perimeter of the grip, then just pushed it on. Had all the time in the world to get it positioned correctly. To remove it, just soak a rag in acetone and wrap the bar for a few minutes, allowing the acetone to soften the glue. Easy as can be.

079340647244lg.jpg

For the first time ever I also safety-wired my grips. Bought a set of BikeMaster safety wire pliers (340488R) for $24 on Amazon and a lifetime supply of 0.025" OD stainless wire. Watched a couple of videos and wondered why I didn't do this sooner. So easy. I highly recommend it!

post-381613-0-50691100-1447362996.jpg

Lockwire Pliers.jpg

Lockwire.jpg

Grip Safety Wire.jpg

Pro Taper pillow tops have been my all time favorite grip and none of my local shops can get them. I emailing Pro Taper tonight.

Anyway, I just start using Permatex super weatherstrip adhesive, which is cheap and when prepped properly works great.

0612241.jpg

Pro Taper pillow tops have been my all time favorite grip and none of my local shops can get them. I emailing Pro Taper tonight.

Anyway, I just start using Permatex super weatherstrip adhesive, which is cheap and when prepped properly works great.

0612241.jpg

Funny, I use this all of the time and it never once dawned on me to use it on grips. Duh! Great stuff. :thumbsup:

ODI lock on grips... youll love them.  no annoying sticky glues to mess with, no wires poking your hands in the middle of a ride.

http://www.onebicycles.com/contents/media/odi3.gif

also, I heard they quit making those pillow top grips, is that true? 

I just installed a pair of these on my mountain bike today.

Pillow Tops are Pro Taper's best selling grip. Doubt they will stop making them any time soon.

• Like 1

Pillow tops are the worst grip EVER. To each his own I guess.

Hockey tape and gasoline. It'll change your world.

m

How so?

I'm also not a fan of the pillow tops ( regular and lite). They feel too bulky.

I've been using the pro taper glue, works well but it's a rip off.

I just put a set of spider grips on, I like the minimal bulk and grippy feel. I didn't use glue or wire. The fit was so tight I just squeezed them on. I'll see how they hold up, might need some wire later but I think my days of gluing the grips on are over.

I can not believe that everyone in the world does not think the pillow tops are the best grips ever :cry:

Really when I do have to replace my grips I find there are so many options I just ended up using  a few of the ones I used before.

Back to the original topic, I do not like what ever grips I end up using slipping.

Now back to grips. I've just put on the Renthal Kevlar's and like them :p

renthal-kevlar-taper-dual-layer-compound

0612241.jpg

My go to dealer no longer carries Pro Taper either and when I told them that was the dumbest thing I have ever heard she basically told me that their distributor cut ties with them. Most likely your local dealer has the same distributor. 

Anyways, I just use Renthal grip glue. Ive tried all kinds of methods and nothing has beaten the reliability of goold ole grip glue.. even if its rebranded everyday glue that I paid 2x the price for.. it just works lol.

I do use safety wire as well, but I dont feel that it is necessary.

I didn't care for pillow tops when I had them.

I'm currently running ODI Lock-On grips with the Rogue texture.

At this time, I see no reason to switch them. Lots of grip and cushion and no glue or wire needed.

I also have a set of half-waffle lock-ons, but I'm not a big fan of the half waffle pattern. I'll keep them as back up.

ODI lock on grips... youll love them.  no annoying sticky glues to mess with, no wires poking your hands in the middle of a ride.

Same here, no matter how much glue and safety wire my LH grip always moved around on the bar.

From now on it's ODI locking grips for me as well, once installed they stay put.

Pillow tops are the worst grip EVER. To each his own I guess.

Hockey tape and gasoline. It'll change your world.

You gotta have man-size hands for pillow tops.  :p  :lol:

• Like 2