Sign in to follow this  

Rear spring

Ok so I bought my 2011 crf450r used from a dealer. I've been messing around with the suspension. I found the factory specs I was gonna start with but when I went to set the sag the bike is to high. I'm thinking someone changed the spring but how can I tell. Also if it was changed the factory says 4 in of sag. Do I still run 4 in if its a different spring

You start by setting the rider sag to the specified measurement no matter what spring is installed,

then by the free sag measurement you can determine is the spring rate is in the ballpark for your weight.

How tall are you and what do you weight ?(no protective riding gear on)

and what type of usage, off-roading or motocross ?

If you meant 'the bike is too high' at 4" of sag, well that is by design on any MX race bike with 11"+ of suspension travel.

If you have trouble touching the ground, changing the spring rate or sag height isn't how

to properly lower the bike as that will only offset the bike's balance, handling and the suspension's performance.

The installation of internal lowering spacers in the shock/forks is the only way to do it properly.

Edited by mlatour
  • Like 1

Run 105mm and then fiddle w fork height.

. What does that equal in spring rate.

Run 105mm and then fiddle w fork height.

what does that equal in spring rate

? I can tell you that 105mm will put the chassis right where it needs to be. You need to see if you can get it to 100-105mm.....if you can you check static sag and even preload on the spring....the static sag should be between 30-40mm. If you have 8-10mm of preload on your spring it's good.

So that sag measurement doesn't equal spring rate...you are trying to get the right sag with that spring....if you can't it's the wrong spring for you.

? I can tell you that 105mm will put the chassis right where it needs to be. You need to see if you can get it to 100-105mm.....if you can you check static sag and even preload on the spring....the static sag should be between 30-40mm. If you have 8-10mm of preload on your spring it's good.

So that sag measurement doesn't equal spring rate...you are trying to get the right sag with that spring....if you can't it's the wrong spring for you.

oh I got ya now. Thanks bro