pw50 not running

Hello, I am new to this site and hope I am on the correct forum. I dug out my 1980 yzinger that my son and daughter used. They are now 33 and 34.  I am attempting to get the bike running for my grandson's. Changed gas ect and the bike started for appox 45 minutes then shut off. It then would start for a short time then shut off. Now it will not start.  I have the run/start switch unplugged and the control for start unhooked. I had spark at the plug then it seems to fade away. I thing the spark is too weak to start. I bought new coil and cdi but it has different plug set up. Any help or testing procedures will be appreciated.  thanks in advance. Pete

• 3 weeks later...

I had the same exact problem with an '83 P-Dub 50 that I bought for $75. Turned out to be the primary coil. (the one under the flywheel not the ignition coil that connects directly to the plug). Do a resistance check on it. I can't remember the exact specification values , something like 240 - 260 ohms but I'm not quite sure. Mine was only like 15 ohms over the max but it was the only thing I could find wrong... I didn't think that was the problem so I kept looking at other potential causes. Finally bought a new coil (around $40 on eBay) and it fired right up and it never quit again. Recently sold it for $250 after 2 years of my kid and my nephews running the crap out of it. My problem was exactly like you're describing... sparked sometimes and then it would stop. It's an easy check and easy fix. I have a pdf of the manual, if you need it let me know.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all the info. Still have not found problem. does anyone have the ohmic values for all the coils on this unit and wire colors for taking these readings. I wll have to start from the top again.  thanks  in advance  Pete. note this is a 1980 y zinger 50cc