Sign in to follow this  

Can anyone build me a throttle butterfly valve?

Hello, I am working on a turbo build which  I would like to keep a low profile on to prevent embarrassment.

I need someone to build me or find me a 30mm butterfly valve. No fuel injectors or anything. Just an air control valve that I can open and close with the throttle cable. Can anyone tell me where to find or how to build something like this?

Thanks

Search throttle body on Google or cable operated throttle body or something. You need to get one with a tps sensor or something for the ecu

Jegs will probably have one..

Edited by Swes

Search throttle body on Google or cable operated throttle body or something. You need to get one with a tps sensor or something for the ecu

Jegs will probably have one..

I building one without an ecu or fuel injection, simple draw through. I feel like this is where many failed, its when they complicate things with electronics. I will get a shitty carb that I will plug all the holes for and use it as a throttle valve... for now. 

If you want to do a carbureted turbo you really should use a blow through carb simply for the sake of safety ,performance and tunability .

Do a search on them they are pressurized carbs that sit between turbo and the motor

If you try to do a suction type set up you'll need to find a CV carb from a motor that made about the amount of power you expect from your setup stick that in the front of the turbo then a throttle body in the turbo manifold . Problem is if be afraid that if you had any sort spark or blow back the you have a large amount of fuel air ready to explode . Even 1940s turbocharged stuff used blow through carbs

People don't fail because they tried to use fuel injection they fail because trying to make up a wholly new fuel system which is difficult wether it's carbed or fuel injected.

Turbocharging isn't difficult rather it's time consuming to run all the numbers then buy the correct parts for their build (this is where people go wrong ) then sit and tune and tune and tune

Turbocharging means

Fuel ratios are totally different

Timing needs to be different

Cams may need to change

Exhaust needs to change

Intake needs to change

The proper turbo needs to be selected there's about 4 variables in basic turbo design from inducer ratios to inducer size

An ecu is almost a pre req simply because changing the fueling and ignition the old school way without an ecu is 100 times more time consuming

Without a ECU ,TPS, MAF 02 sensor you will have no way to controll pulse width/the amount of fuel the injector delivers .

that meens instant burn down or explosion .

Some of the 100s had a 28 to 32mm alide carb just use it as a air meter plug jet holes TAKE VIDS WE ALL WANT TO SEE IT GO BOOM !!!

If you want to do a carbureted turbo you really should use a blow through carb simply for the sake of safety ,performance and tunability .

Do a search on them they are pressurized carbs that sit between turbo and the motor

If you try to do a suction type set up you'll need to find a CV carb from a motor that made about the amount of power you expect from your setup stick that in the front of the turbo then a throttle body in the turbo manifold . Problem is if be afraid that if you had any sort spark or blow back the you have a large amount of fuel air ready to explode . Even 1940s turbocharged stuff used blow through carbs

People don't fail because they tried to use fuel injection they fail because trying to make up a wholly new fuel system which is difficult wether it's carbed or fuel injected.

Turbocharging isn't difficult rather it's time consuming to run all the numbers then buy the correct parts for their build (this is where people go wrong ) then sit and tune and tune and tune

Turbocharging means

Fuel ratios are totally different

Timing needs to be different

Cams may need to change

Exhaust needs to change

Intake needs to change

The proper turbo needs to be selected there's about 4 variables in basic turbo design from inducer ratios to inducer size

An ecu is almost a pre req simply because changing the fueling and ignition the old school way without an ecu is 100 times more time consuming

I know it did sound dumb, I simply did not provide enough information and that doesn't mean I didn't think about those things. You sound like you know what you are talking about and I would like for you to pm me your email or skype if you are interested in the build. Maybe we both can learn a thing or two.

Without a ECU ,TPS, MAF 02 sensor you will have no way to controll pulse width/the amount of fuel the injector delivers .

that meens instant burn down or explosion .

Some of the 100s had a 28 to 32mm alide carb just use it as a air meter plug jet holes TAKE VIDS WE ALL WANT TO SEE IT GO BOOM !!!

Hahaha, the child in me also wants to see it go boom. It's carburated so there is no injectors.

OK IM LOST it's carbed and you want a butter fly valve a extra one or are you thinkin BOV ?

It's a draw through setup with a CV carb. The CV carb has the the butterfly always completely open and lets the slide do the work based on the velocity of the air.

The throttle butterfly sits on the the intake port after the turbo for instant throttle response.

Oil leaks from draw through set-ups seem to happen when the butterfly closes on the turbo inlet causing negative pressure so the oil escapes to the compressor because it gets sucked. Having no flow resistance before the turbo helps with oil leaks.

Also I will have the oil sucked through the turbo instead of pushed through it. This will reduce the likely hood of oil leaking to the compressor housing. 

I am also going to run the oil to separate reservoir so I can monitor it's levels and refill easily. 

Should be really interesting to see this done. I will post all the build in detail if it works. If it doesn't then I will not talk about it again.

So many turbo builds posts that failed in the end. For me it's a happy ending or no build post.

• Like 1