Sign in to follow this  

Michigan Safe to Ride Day Before Opening Day?

I'm planning to ride one of Michigan's many dirt bike trails this Saturday which is, of course, just one day before gun season opens for deer. Is my plan a bad one? Should I stay off the trails on day before opening day?

Edited by suppresst

I'm planning to ride one of Michigan's many dirt bike trails this Saturday which is, of course, just one day before gun season opens for deer. Is my plan a bad one? Should I stay off the trails on day before opening day?

You sure won't make any friends doing that....just sayin

I rode once 2 or 3 days be for opening day a couple of years ago. Hunter were out setting up they spots , and sighting in their guns. Made me a little uneasy , hearing rifles , some sounded kind of close. Maybe 2 to 3 days , yes maybe , day be for, i would not.

• Like 1

I rode once 2 or 3 days be for opening day a couple of years ago. Hunter were out setting up they spots , and sighting in their guns. Made me a little uneasy , hearing rifles , some sounded kind of close. Maybe 2 to 3 days , yes maybe , day be for, i would not.

It is still illegal to be shooting on public lands. I don't recall what the specific buffer is, but I think it's 5 days before the start.

Edited by BlueHeart

Legal to do, but I'd recommend not doing so. Best to stay out of the woods until 12/1

• Like 1

As a hunter myself (and a rider) it's best to keep the 2 separate. I will ride during bow season but not during gun season (a lot of people to piss off). Most are scouting and other such things prior to opening day. Stay off the trails. One exception is u can't hunt on Sunday's but it's best to stay out of the woods until about the 2nd week in December or whenever shotgun season closes.

Nothing pisses me off more than having someone ride by when you are hunting. You lose all hope for that morning/afternoon and nobody wants a dirt bike driving by their spot the day before either. I've even seen jeeps go by while hunting (don't know how they even made it through some of the Rocky trails).

The deer don't care about motor vehicles. The last 10 deer I seen were standing in the road.

Edited by fastdadio

Well, gentleman, I did go riding (at Cedar Creek) on the 14th, and I will report that it was a busy day on the trails - there were many other dirt bikes and ATV's using the trail that day, and we all had a great time. I did pass some hunters, presumably scouting for opening day, but they didn't glare at me or show any other signs of hostility.

Well, gentleman, I did go riding (at Cedar Creek) on the 14th, and I will report that it was a busy day on the trails - there were many other dirt bikes and ATV's using the trail that day, and we all had a great time. I did pass some hunters, presumably scouting for opening day, but they didn't glare at me or show any other signs of hostility.

I was also out there and the sheer amount of dirt bikers out there sure did surprise me! I figure that I was safe in the woods, I ride orange! My group and I were out there until about 4:30 and I was on the six days 300 with the other two guys on Yamaha Yz 250fs...

There's a couple in every crowd. 

Moreover, I called the national forest supervisors office before I went and they informed me that all of us out there have every right to ride on the 14th of November and there has never been any incident demonstrating it is unsafe. Apparently BlueHeart is a timid sheep scared that the big bad hunters might say "boo" to him as he exercises his legal right to ride.

Riders actually help during mid day, but ya, hunters wait all year for their short window of opportunity. Let em have it.

• Like 2

Moreover, I called the national forest supervisors office before I went and they informed me that all of us out there have every right to ride on the 14th of November and there has never been any incident demonstrating it is unsafe. Apparently BlueHeart is a timid sheep scared that the big bad hunters might say "boo" to him as he exercises his legal right to ride.

Being an a$$hat is legal as you posted. Being considerate to those who also use the same land is something that you learn. Maybe you'll get it someday...then again maybe not
  • Like 1

Riders actually help during mid day, but ya, hunters wait all year for their short window of opportunity. Let em have it.

Being an a$$hat is legal as you posted. Being considerate to those who also use the same land is something that you learn. Maybe you'll get it someday...then again maybe not

Now I begin to get it - you guys must be Obama voters: to hades with the law as written, lets just make up the rules as we go along to meet the passions of the moment.

Your argument is that what I did was legal, but not considerate.

First of all, let me say that I worked for two years underwater at a national marine sanctuary and anybody who thinks noises on the surface of the water scare fish away have no idea what they are talking about. That's an Old Wives Tale. So, what do you guys think happen to a deer when a dirt bike passes along, on the 14th of each November, on a well established motor trail, that gets used every day? You guys don't suppose the deer have already made whatever adjustment they are going to make to presence of dirt bikes? That by my avoiding the trail for one day, herds of 16 point bucks are going to flood in to the area? It's clear to me you haven't thought this issue through very much. If I'm a hunter and I'm going to select a spot near a motorsports trail than I'm doing so in the full knowledge that whatever impact the presence of ORV's has had, it has had. One day will change nothing.

I wasn't hesitating to ride on the 14th out of any concern of spoiling someone's hunt, which is nonsense, I was hesitating over concern that some trigger happy hunter wouldn't be able to distinguish between a four-legged target and a two-wheeled one.

Edited by suppresst
  • Like 1

Now I begin to get it - you guys must be Obama voters: to hades with the law as written, lets just make up the rules as we go along to meet the passions of the moment.

Your argument is that what I did was legal, but not considerate.

First of all, let me say that I worked for two years underwater at a national marine sanctuary and anybody who thinks noises on the surface of the water scare fish away have no idea what they are talking about. That's an Old Wives Tale. So, what do you guys think happen to a deer when a dirt bike passes along, on the 14th of each November, on a well established motor trail, that gets used every day? You guys don't suppose the deer have already made whatever adjustment they are going to make to presence of dirt bikes? That by my avoiding the trail for one day, herds of 16 point bucks are going to flood in to the area? It's clear to me you haven't thought this issue through very much. If I'm a hunter and I'm going to select a spot near a motorsports trail than I'm doing so in the full knowledge that whatever impact the presence of ORV's has had, it has had. One day will change nothing.

I wasn't hesitating to ride on the 14th out of any concern of spoiling someone's hunt, which is nonsense, I was hesitating over concern that some trigger happy hunter wouldn't be able to distinguish between a four-legged target and a two-wheeled one.

You're ignorance and childish behavior exposes you for what you are. Name calling and assuming is what you're good at, stick to commenting on the Free Press and Detroit News.

Yes, being considerate is more important than simply following the laws. Understanding these things is what makes you a man, not trying to pick an internet fight by bad mouthing your fellow riders. Please stay where you live and continue to associate with like minded people. Your attitude and arrogance isn't welcome anywhere else.

• Like 1

"You're ignorance and childish behavior exposes you for what you are. Name calling and assuming is what you're good at".

What else can I do but assume when the totality of your argument is this, from one of your replies: "Being an a$$hat.." In the reality that I exist in, where what is on record in black and white amounts to evidence, you began the "name calling", and picked an "internet fight" with that comment and the preceding one about there being "a couple in every crowd". One has to "assume" that you are either a hunter yourself, so do not have an objective viewpoint on this issue, or that you are a coward that wees his pants at the thought of pissing off a hunter. That you are concerned about being considerate of other (hunters) is off the table as a possibility, as the content of your posts prove. You don't care who you offend.

Edited by suppresst

What else can I do but assume when the totality of your argument is this, from one of your replies: "Being an a$$hat.." In the reality that I exist in, where what is on record in black and white amounts to evidence, you began the "name calling", and picked an "internet fight" with that comment and the preceding one about there being "a couple in every crowd". One has to "assume" that you are either a hunter yourself, so do not have an objective viewpoint on this issue, or that you are a coward that wees his pants at the thought of pissing off a hunter. That you are concerned about being considerate of other (hunters) is off the table as a possibility, as the content of your posts prove. You don't care who you offend.

I didn't call you an a$$hat, I said riding the day before the season started is an a$$hat thing to do. You fulfilled the name yourself with your actions. That's black and white. You then called those of us who disagree with you Obama supporters assuming we want more laws, when in reality you are the reasons for the laws that are in place. If it wasn't illegal to ride during deer season you probably would do it proclaiming the whole time "It's legal! I can do it! "

I see in another post you mention Jeramey from VVMapping as a good guy who always is helpful, but you didn't heed his advice in this thread, did you? You mentioned GLDS as well. Did you attend the Hoxeyville ride? If so, did you ride through the hippie camp? You could've, because it's legal. The majority of us went around it. Maybe we all pissed our pants at the thought we might make them angry?

What does the probability of me being a hunter lessen my credibility? Where do you get your credibility? How are you able to maintain objectivity. Because you ride a motorcycle and obviously don't know much about hunting? (If you did you wouldn't be ignorant to the topic you posted)

If you can't understand what it means to be respectful of others without considering how your actions affect others, I don't know what anyone can say to change your mind.

I'm sorry if you think I attacked you personally. If I offended you, tough luck.

I'm not a guy, nor do I hunt, I'm not anti hunting. I just haven't in years. I do not think Blue heart said you were an a$$hat just that being one is legal. I'm always concerned about an a$$hat hunter who isn't concerned about legalities. This isn't exclusive to our sport. My sister had a run in on the Mi horse trail with a "squirrel hunter". On the trail firing his weapon. Later he appeared in front of them spooking the already agitated horses. She asked him what he was hunting and if I was allowed to hunt the trails. He only answered squirrels. The horses wouldn't settle down at camp. So the packed up and returned home.