Sign in to follow this  

Motocross Canadian National 2 stroke rule changes. Honda and Freinds Strike Back.

Looks like the manufacturers who don't make a 250 2T have put pressure on the series to change some rules.

"The intention of allowing 250 two-strokes to compete in the MX2 class was to allow Canadian privateers an affordable way to compete in regional, provincial and national level events. That has been achieved in all regions of the country, apparent by the growing number of 250 two-strokes that line up every weekend to race. However, at the Pro Nationals where a substantial investment is made by all manufacturers to compete at the front of the pack, which is where all of the attention and publicity is gained, the set rules and eligibility guidelines have created concern among the manufacturers that do not produce and retail a 250 two-stroke."

Here's a link to the article:

http://www.mxpmag.com/250-two-stroke-rule-for-2016-rockstar-energy-drink-motocross-nationals/

In short only Canadian citizens can race the 250 2 stroke and if a person Finished in the top 5 overall in the series in the last 3 years they can't race a 2 stroke. ETA. In MX2.

I guess whoever predicted the ones who didn't make one would try to put a stop to them being in the class was right.

Edited by Kevslatvin

no one used to make a 4 stroke, yet the rules allowed it.  Seems lame that they are eilliminating two strokes because some dont make them.

• Like 5

So much for four strokes being a superior technology. Hee hee Whiners.

Craigus

• Like 3

The citizenship rule is the most comical part of it all. Oh you aren't from Canada but want to race, better bring your fart rocket north of the border.

Boo hoo, Kaven Benoit dominated on a 2 stroke KTM. Where was the next 2 stroke in the final standings...Oh yeah, outside the top 10. We got beat by a better rider on "old" technology so lets stomp our feet til CMRC changes the rules to better favor our marketing agenda.

• Like 4

I'm not a follower of pro MX racing either here in Canada or the USA but I see these type of rules as also a way to preserve

an equal level and image of competitveness in the sport and avoid dominance by only 1-2 top riders.

Dominance and 'predictability' in racing makes for a boring show, spectators and potential participants quickly loose

interest when there is too much of a gap between always the same few front runners and the rest of the field.

They've seen that in the right hands and on the right track configurations, a two-stoke engine of equal displacement

is perhaps an advantage that makes a few top riders capable of 'stealing the show' on a regular basis.

Similar 'sportsmanship' rules are sometimes found in stock car racing as well, say if an amateur class racer wins more than 3 main events during a season

or wins the amateur class championship, he/she is forced to move up to the next level like "semi-pro" or "sportsman", all in the intent of preserving

the level of the playing field of the amateur class and avoid dominance.

As for : "the set rules and eligibility guidelines have created concern among the manufacturers that do not produce and retail a 250 two-stroke"

and the specific 2 stroke 'stock head, no porting allowed etc.' rules sure does sounds like some manufacturers are putting pressure on

the race organisation to avoid making their latest fancy new four strokes bikes look bad versus older technology 2T bikes.

Edited by mlatour

Kaven would have probably still won on a 250F as he was clearly the top rider in the class this year. I know some of the other racers were not shy about how they felt about the 2 strokes in the class and I'm sure the other teams were crying foul to the CMA about it all year. I get they are trying to make a level playing field but some of the rules they came up with are questionable. Easy solution, other manufactures just need to produce a 250 2 stroke so their riders can keep up! 

• Like 1

It is funny that in 1998, when Doug Henry was pulling most of the holeshots in the "250"class, the other manufacturers complained about his 440cc tumper and the advantages it had, but the AMA simply turned a deaf ear to those complaints and that was the end of that business.  Now some complaints were levied and the Canadians were quick to appease the complainers.  I hate to see this crap that is pushing the best dirtbike motors out of the MX racing scene.

Kaven would have probably still won on a 250F as he was clearly the top rider in the class this year. I know some of the other racers were not shy about how they felt about the 2 strokes in the class and I'm sure the other teams were crying foul to the CMA about it all year. I get they are trying to make a level playing field but some of the rules they came up with are questionable. Easy solution, other manufactures just need to produce a 250 2 stroke so their riders can keep up! 

Agree.  I have no sympathy for Honda, Suzi, and Kawi.  Make the bike or quit your whining!

• Like 2

I was talking to a buddy over the Canadian only rule. I would take the CMRC to court over it, that's flat out discrimination.

CMA and CMRC is a bigger dog and pony show you than the AMA.

Everyone hates the CMRC.

Looks like Metty is back next year and old Bobby K decided to hang up his helmet for good. I always loved watching Bobby race, such a nice guy...

• Like 1

The 4t manufacturer's might have

other problems to deal with if / when the

Ryger Engine technology ever gets

released and used on 2t's.

" A 125 with 70hp at 17.5k, revs

to 30,000, less fuel, and less

emissions than a 4t "

Can only hope

• Like 1

It is clear a rule like this was put in place due to factory teams and companies like Honda wanting it.   The problem I have with this type of deal is where does it stop?  Even the powers in the USA say they don't allow two strokes because top factory teams claim they won't show up and race if two strokes are allowed.   Thus where does it stop?   Do the factory teams get other things changed so that privateers can't win?   It just seems that if they can force rule changes to insure the factory teams win then they can force other changes also that help themselves.    Maybe the race schedule?  Bike inspections?  Sound rules?  TIres?   So many other options!

The 4t manufacturer's might have

other problems to deal with if / when the

Ryger Engine technology ever gets

released and used on 2t's.

" A 125 with 70hp at 17.5k, revs

to 30,000, less fuel, and less

emissions than a 4t "

Can only hope

Not a practical application for MX...

It is clear a rule like this was put in place due to factory teams and companies like Honda wanting it. The problem I have with this type of deal is where does it stop? Even the powers in the USA say they don't allow two strokes because top factory teams claim they won't show up and race if two strokes are allowed. Thus where does it stop? Do the factory teams get other things changed so that privateers can't win? It just seems that if they can force rule changes to insure the factory teams win then they can force other changes also that help themselves. Maybe the race schedule? Bike inspections? Sound rules? TIres? So many other options!

It's laughable that they're so scared of a cheaper-to-manufacture engine.

Not practical for Mx, ...yet,

...unless you're nuts enough

to hang on to it.

The Ryger is so hushed,

only a handful of people

even know what the internals

look like. But if the workings

ever gets released, just guessing

that larger bore / different

stroke and rpm motors could

be built around the same design.

The history of the jet/ turbine