Sign in to follow this  

Big green in the woods

Hey guys whats up? I recently have gotten the trail itch and have decided I would like to race this year. I got a killer deal on a 2008 KX450f for $1400. Believe it or not the bike was in pretty good shape and had been taking care of. The previous owner had purchased a 2015 YZ 450f and wanted to keep both bikes but once his wife found out how much he paid for the YZ she told him it needed to be gone that day and I got one hell of a deal. I know it is far from the best trail bike, but its what I got so I am going to make it work for me at least to see if I really like racing once I get into it. 

So far I have put new pro taper contour bars with cycra bark busters, sunline clutch perch, new Dunlop tires and a Tag 51t rear sprocket. For now I think these will get me by to get my feet wet in the trails and use to the bike. Has anyone had success converting these green pigs to woods bikes? As I said I know its far from perfect but to have fun and bump some bars it will do just fine. 

Hey guys whats up? I recently have gotten the trail itch and have decided I would like to race this year. I got a killer deal on a 2008 KX450f for $1400. Believe it or not the bike was in pretty good shape and had been taking care of. The previous owner had purchased a 2015 YZ 450f and wanted to keep both bikes but once his wife found out how much he paid for the YZ she told him it needed to be gone that day and I got one hell of a deal. I know it is far from the best trail bike, but its what I got so I am going to make it work for me at least to see if I really like racing once I get into it. 

So far I have put new pro taper contour bars with cycra bark busters, sunline clutch perch, new Dunlop tires and a Tag 51t rear sprocket. For now I think these will get me by to get my feet wet in the trails and use to the bike. Has anyone had success converting these green pigs to woods bikes? As I said I know its far from perfect but to have fun and bump some bars it will do just fine. 

Up until recently, I rode my completely stock '11 only trails and woods. In fact, what you've done so far is way more than what I've done to make mine trail ready.

You might find the bottom end satisfactory, but if not, many people add flywheel weights. Another thing people do is put in a Rekluse. Lastly, if it doesn't have a 1.6 rad cap, consider that.

If you don't plan on mx racing, get the suspension redone for you. Chances are it's set up really stiff.

I have been riding my 06 kx450 only on trails since I have bought it in 06. Revalve the suspension should be at the top of your list and setting your bike up for you. Skid plate if you don't have one already. And steering stabilizer has been awesome and saved me to many times to count.

Trails here also,I have a Recluse,PMB kickstand,big tank,1.6 rad cap and spark arrestor among other mods.