Sign in to follow this  

In need of help!

I bought a new CDI box and coil for a 1990 y-zinger that a buddy is letting me borrow. ( my son is starting to get into this stuff). It was running horrible so I went ahead and purchased that and a new switch assembly. Mind you this is all off eBay. All three items that came in today do not have the same connection that came stock on the pw. Does anyone know if I can test the old CDI before I cut into the wiring and splice it all together?? (If that's even feasible) here's what I've got .....

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1447386906.525691.jpg

And.....

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1447386937.406205.jpg

Also anyone have a CLUE what this is? I think it's some sort of resistor but I don't know for sure

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1447387029.419353.jpg

CDI is tested by eliminating the other components as being the source of the problem. You test the ignition coil, primary coil and secondary coil (if it has one). If they all check good then the problem is the CDI box. The tests for the others are simply resistance tests. Are you talking PW50 or 80? I have pdf manuals for both of you need. CDI boxes are very reliable in my experience..

It is for the pw-50. I am still stuck on this thing so any help would be greatly appreciated

What have you done so far? Are you getting spark? Is there gas in the carb bowl? Is the spark plug getting wet when your kicking it? Rarely is the CDI the problem. Need more info. How was it "running bad" exactly... explain some more. These are as simple as a dirtbike can get it shouldn't be hard to help you figure out the issue..

I took the exhaust off and it was clogged up pretty bad. I have replaced it. Replaced the carb, air box, new top end, and new coil. At this time I'm getting spark and plenty of fuel. When I take the plug out its very wet. I might have something wrong with the new carb. It's a jeng ki. Something like that.

My son was able to ride it for about 2-3 hours then it would quit. I could get it started back up but it would die almost immediately. So when we got back home that's when I took the exhaust off and it looked like this....ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1449004613.820311.jpg

Yea using those aftermarket carbs is very sketchy. I bought one for an XR80 once and it was a disaster, it backfired and did all sorts of bad things. .

Have u checked the petcock to make sure there's no sediment in there. Had that problem once on a Kawasaki KE100 and it did kind of the same thing you're describing. Also did you clean the entire exhaust or just the openings. That's a lot of carbon build up and to get that stuff out properly requires heat and solvent. If you haven't cleaned it thoroughly google how to do it, I'm sure there's something on YouTube.

Also the primary coils on PW50's go bad subtly and also produce the kind of issues you're describing when they begin to go bad. You'll need to do a resistance check and see what readings you get. I had a PW that had the problem and it would run for a while then shut off. I tried everything before I changed the primary coil (under the flywheel). The reading I had gotten was only like 15 ohms off of the max so I didn't think it was an issue. I finally came to the conclusion that maybe it was the issue... swapped it out and it ran like a champ and never had a problem again. I can get you the manual if with an email address and tell you where the section is. I don't think you'll need to get to the coil I believe the wires that lead to it are accessible near the CDI box. You'll need a multi meter and if it is bad you'll need a flywheel puller. They're cheap but I think you'll need a different one than the standard (I think the threads are smaller). Let me know. I'm not sure how or if u can do messaging from the thumper talk app so I'll probably need to email the manual.

Edited by delawhere

I bought an all new exhaust. Before when I cleaned it it was just right there before the bend. Didn't think of heat and solvent. I have not checked the petcock yet either. The bike was a co-workers (and he is letting me borrow it while I see if my son actually wants to take this up). I will check the petcock though today when I get home from work. I wouldn't be surprised if the whole tank needed a good cleaning. It say for years and before I could even start it I had to replace the top end, which I bought off of eBay as well.