Sign in to follow this  

'86 XR600R fmf muffler installation

Has anybody installed a fmf muffler to their XR600?

I'm trying today but it isn't lining up to my satisfaction.  I have to man-handle it down and towards the frame to get the attachment straps even close. (Those straps are ugly)

I'm starting to think this isn't a good idea.  The old muffler is a supertrapp.  But I've added fmf's to my kx85, klx140, xr100 and xr200 with good results.

All the attachments are hand tight - even the header.

Any ideas will be greatly appreciated!

(Would the fmf header be a  better fit?)

Thanks

Edited by Big_GRR

Powercore 4 on my 95 xr600. Xl600 headers. Honda header gaskets and Hondabond silicone at header to muffler joint. Great fit. Id have to see pics for help. But it may be a wrong design if it doesnt fit right. Like for a different bike. I doubt the 80s xrs are much different. The straps on the pipe can slide up or down. The female threading that screws into the frame, i cut it off to get an extra inch of width down there. Thats all i have to mount it. Two muff straps. The hondabond. But that doesnt mount it. And header nuts.

Good luck

OK, thanks for all the info!  I forgot my phone/camera today (the bike is at my daughters house) so unable to take pics.  But I did make headway.  The muffler is attached (dry fit) with the front strap only (and lower front frame bolt).

Earlier, I removed the lower front attachment to frame bolt, and that allowed the unit to rotate closer to the frame.  I then positioned a strap and saw where the front lower frame bolt hole location was out of whack with the unit welded/attachment.  I then filed the frame hole to match - about a 1/4" elongation. (After I went to OSH and bought bolts, nuts and washers, and a rat-tail file).

So, the muffler should work ok (won't fall off).  But the actual muffler to header pipe attachment is at a slight angle - not the best fit.  I need to remove the muffler and apply RTV at the muffler/header joint and re-attach.  I added 2 washers at the lower frame attachment because it wasn't tight with the frame. I only have one strap attached at this time (the front most one).  I may attach the rear strap at a later time, if required - there may be a vibration problem with only one strap.  The rear strap needs to be shortened for better fitment if/when installed.  

Also, the number plate will have to be filed down a bit as it touches the muffler.  Likewise, the rear fender.

I should note that all this follows a Top-End refresh (hone, rings, valve job).  The mechanic said the engine has a Carillo Rod and hotter cam.

I can't wait to hear what she sounds like!  Pics coming soon!

Eh I've ran my powercore4 for a while with no rear strap and it's been fine. Looks better without it too.

Ok.  But not a perfect fit.  The pipe fits ok until I add the strap(s).  I have to push the muffler down to get the strap to line up with the frame hole.  This distorts the muffler pipe to header joint.  I think this is a poor design from FMF. 

They have cut corners by NOT adding a proper welded flange to frame attachment.  I suppose by using the straps they can cut costs by using the same canister for several models.  Just adding different down tubes. 

Here are some photos showing the dry fit, removal, elongated frame filed hole, RTV added, warped tube to header connection, added washers, etc.

BTW, I need to check/adjust the Compression Release Adjustments.  Does anyone know where I can get a proper tool to remove the Timing Hole and Crankshaft Caps?  It looks like the mechanic added new slotted caps.

(But I already purchased newer designed caps with the Hex design).

20151114_134007.jpg

20151114_134059.jpg

20151114_134110.jpg

20151114_134138.jpg

20151114_134151.jpg

20151114_134423.jpg

20151114_134438.jpg

20151114_134654.jpg

20151114_134719.jpg

20151114_135049.jpg

I'm not sure how to finalize my Post following Post Review - son I hit Reply.

Thanks againg for everone's comments!

Gerry Rutherford, San Jose CA

20151116_135235.jpg

20151116_135505.jpg

So i have a 170/60 street tire. So upon compression it rubbed the muffler. So i had to cut that middle bung off to lean it out further against the frame. Then the two muffler strap bolts have spacers that push it out another inch. An application only for my design. Or an xr with a wide street tire.

Anyways. No middle bung. Header bolts. Silicone. Clamp. Two muff straps.