Front Tire for GF - Need something that works in sand

Here's the deal:

1) Girlfriend crashed in sand, got hurt.

2) Now GF is afraid of sand, leading to more crashing and crying.

3) I hate crying GF. She's annoying enough when she's NOT crying.

4) Don't want to buy her a TW200.

5) Need a front tire that has good flotation. She's not going fast, she just needs something that floats on top of the sandy patches.

Any recommendations? One of the 90/100s at low pressure maybe?

Edited by mitchb

Washougal comes in a 90 width I think.

Here's some very useful advice - don't take your gf on rides.  At least not "real" rides.  Find girls for her to ride with.  And do not try to teach her to ride - again, have someone else do it.

Female riders and sand generally don't mix.

If she can cruise the fire roads with you and some really mellow maintained singletrack, consider yourself lucky and don't push it past that.

• Like 2

what size rim? 19 or 21?

for the 19" front the dunlop mx32 is thee best. not very many choices in that size. i went through many of them for my girlfriend and she likes the mx32 front the best. she too, doesnt like the sand. i put in an extra heavy duty tube and ran 9-11lbs cold(from what i can remember). she gained a lot of confidence right off the bat.

Edited by TheW0LF
  • Like 1

I was surprised how well my wife rode her TTR125 in the sand washes...stock tires too. 

Was GF given some basic techniques for riding in the soft sand?

And do not try to teach her to ride - again, have someone else do it.

It’s not for lack of bravery. She has the opposite problem-- completely fearless combined with no respect for the laws of physics.

Me: You need to slow down before you get hurt.

GF: Stop telling me what to do!

< 10 minutes later she overcooks it into a corner, runs wide, and slams into an embankment >

• Like 2

what size rim? 19 or 21?

21"

She's getting a CRF230L for xmas. She doesn't know it yet.

Yes I know I should get her an 230F, but she's too short so I'd have to lower an F. 

Also I know the history of this bike, got it at a good price, and it's CA legal.

Minimal time investment compared to a F.

Edited by mitchb

If she can cruise the fire roads with you and some really mellow maintained singletrack, consider yourself lucky and don't push it past that.

That's another reason why she's getting the L and not the F. More dualsport rides in the future.

Unfortunately she likes climbing hills - even when I say "don't go there" she'll try to climb it anyways.

Edited by mitchb
  • Like 2

It’s not for lack of bravery. She has the opposite problem-- completely fearless combined with no respect for the laws of physics.

Me: You need to slow down before you get hurt.

GF: Stop telling me what to do!

< 10 minutes later she overcooks it into a corner, runs wide, and slams into an embankment >

My wife grew up riding but I did get on her case one day when she went ripping by me in the street on her Ninja.  She said I was overreacting...

21"

She's getting a CRF230L for xmas. She doesn't know it yet.

Yes I know I should get her an 230F, but she's too short so I'd have to lower an F. 

Also I know the history of this bike, got it at a good price, and it's CA legal.

Minimal time investment compared to a F.

well if the price is right...

it can be made to handle real riding, and it will just make her a better rider in the end. especially once she develops a tolerance for suffering.

That's another reason why she's getting the L and not the F. More dualsport rides in the future.

Unfortunately she likes climbing hills - even when I say "don't go there" she'll try to climb it anyways.

Mine rides her 230 in circles around the property in 2nd gear...  no crying...  no worries.

I do have a hard time keeping up though.  ?

• Like 2

haha, sounds like my wife on her KLX140. Stay her I'll have a look and she's on my azz.

Sand, get them on the tank, elbows up, on the pipe and blip the throttle keeping the high, no brakes and don't let off the gas all the way, unless U are stopping completely, then just cl juju tech it in a straight line....yep physics.

Just have to remind they EVERYTIME, BEFORE getting to the sand.

Wife loves riding Dove Springs, lots of sand, so she knows she will get some deep spots at times... moderation!

Good Luck!

--------------------MAYBE WE SHOULD PUT TOGETHER A WEEKEND FIR THE TT GIRLS TO RIDE?

It might be a motivate ??

OF COURSE, WOMEN ARE so COMPETITIVE, NOT LIKE US GUYS, WE JUST ENJOY RIDING!! Make it a none dez wknd..

Brad

• Like 1