Sign in to follow this  

Honda crf250r on the trails

I have a 2005 crf250x, a 2006 crf250r, and a 2015 crf250r. They all make great trail bikes, for the kind of trail riding I do. All three bikes are box-stock.

The 250x is best in tight trails due to it's low first gear and wider transmission range, and is more comfortable on longer rides due to it's softer suspension. It's also street-legal and plated, a feature that I really love.

On faster trails, I prefer the more powerful 250r's. Actually I prefer the 250r's on all the trails I ride on. For many years, I did most of my trail riding on pipey twostroke Honda CR125's and loved them, so the 250 four stroke bikes seem super torquey and easy to ride, on the trail.

Of course, the type of trail you plan on riding will determine which bike is best for you. What kind of trails do you plan to ride on?

Here's a photo of part of my personal riding area...Can you see me down there on my crf250r?

512flashcard136.jpg

Randy

I have a 2005 crf250x, a 2006 crf250r, and a 2015 crf250r. They all make great trail bikes, for the kind of trail riding I do. All three bikes are box-stock.

The 250x is best in tight trails due to it's low first gear and wider transmission range, and is more comfortable on longer rides due to it's softer suspension. It's also street-legal and plated, a feature that I really love.

On faster trails, I prefer the more powerful 250r's. Actually I prefer the 250r's on all the trails I ride on. For many years, I did most of my trail riding on pipey twostroke Honda CR125's and loved them, so the 250 four stroke bikes seem super torquey and easy to ride, on the trail.

Of course, the type of trail you plan on riding will determine which bike is best for you. What kind of trails do you plan to ride on?

Here's a photo of part of my personal riding area...Can you see me down there on my crf250r?

512flashcard136.jpg

Randy

Manly trails with long straights and sometime some technical stuff. I have heard that crf250r overheat on the trails do you have any problems with it

I'm north of the above pics but very similar terrain. I never ride the track. Mostly tight gnarly to flowy single track and lots of long back country rides

On my 05, 110z flywheel was the best $200 I've spent and should have added this when I bought the bike used in 2010. Added a 04 250X tank for extra fuel and running 13T/51T

I've only had the rad boil hard once and it never actually overflowed but I am going to add a Motion Pro over flow bottle at some point. This is a pic of where I am going to put it. This bottle is about the same size as the Motion Pro bottle and I was looking at fitment.

20151012_104318_zpskfegk9cj.jpg

otherwise I love my R on the trails BUT I'm  looking at a 2016 Beta or Husky 300 and just rode a bud's 2016 KTM 150SX which was mind blowing on tight single track  but IMO for big mountain back country I'll go with a 300

I'm north of the above pics but very similar terrain. I never ride the track. Mostly tight gnarly to flowy single track and lots of long back country rides

On my 05, 110z flywheel was the best $200 I've spent and should have added this when I bought the bike used in 2010. Added a 04 250X tank for extra fuel and running 13T/51T

I've only had the rad boil hard once and it never actually overflowed but I am going to add a Motion Pro over flow bottle at some point. This is a pic of where I am going to put it. This bottle is about the same size as the Motion Pro bottle and I was looking at fitment.

20151012_104318_zpskfegk9cj.jpg

otherwise I love my R on the trails BUT I'm  looking at a 2016 Beta or Husky 300 and just rode a bud's 2016 KTM 150SX which was mind blowing on tight single track  but IMO for big mountain back country I'll go with a 300

What is it like to pin it open and give it hell? 

My bike - she likes to go FAST and I'll stick with the R = Race

IMO the 13T/51T is a good compromise for tight single track and top end speed.

I just re-read your original post, and I'm a bit surprised to hear that the R are twice as expensive as the X if they are the same year etc.

Honestly when I bought my used 05 for $2500 in 2010, I had no idea where or how I wanted to ride. Nor did I have a clue as to what I was getting into with the R. I now know that some of my rides can be 10kms and take me 3 hours or 120kms in 3 hours. I've also had a chance to ride 125, 150, 200 (2T) and  250X, 350, 400 (4T) bikes.to compare them against the R. After 5 years I'm ready for a 2016 bike and I'm losing my mind slightly trying to make a decision.

My buddy had a 2009 250X. He put on a full FMF header/muffler and a 280 big bore kit trying to make his bike more like mine. All I needed to do was to add the flywheel weight to make it more like the X (I do wish the R had 6 speeds)

Anyway, I can ONLY make suggestions - If your just getting into dirt biking and I hope you have some riding buddies, ask them if you can try there bikes or get there input. From every thing I know about OZ you have some incredible dirt biking areas.

Edited by filterx

Most of the crf250r's are around 3000-4500 grand and the x's are around 5000 upwards ps I am in Australia

If you don't live in Victoria or Tassie you will need the X to get it registered.

Just noticed I miss read the OP's post re the X's being more $$$ than the R - sorry.

if by registered, you mean plated, I can see why the X's might be more money. We can't plated either the R or X plated where I live.

All X models are worth more because they are all plated in Australia and all the R's are not.