Sign in to follow this  

2012 Ktm 250 XC starter problem

My 2012 250XC just doesn't want to start with electric start. I leave battery tender on it, battery is new, replaced starter too. The odd thing is that once I ride from awhile it will usually fire right up with electric start. But if it's sits for a few days in garage electric start will barely turn it over. But a half a kick with kickstarter it will start right up. I don't get it.

Yep new bushes first. If no joy fit the freeride upgrade bits and maybe a new starter motor. It'll start from cold first touch then BUT it's very important to get the freeplay correct on the intermediate gear. The thickness of the gasket effects it too.

Take the ignition cover off, clean it up with no solvents (stator windings), install 4 new collar busings, inspect the bendix and flood the spring with wd40, inspect the crown gear and clean and grease.  Check the freeplay and shim with the KTM shim (I have one for sale just PM if you need it), grease the bendix gear (not the internal spring which you cleaned with wd40), reassemble the whole thing and see how it works.

If no play, then think about updating your battery to a Lithium (earth-x) are good, think about updating to 2016 Bendix and 2015 Crown gear, and perhaps as a last resort a new starter motor (410watt).

There are 57,843 threads on ktm 2 stroke starters and their issues on here and ktm talk. do a search on them and read for the next 26 years. :smirk:

Joe

1.  Do not rebuild your stock '12 starter in any way (it's a paper weight), go with newer 410w starter.

2.  Install a Lithium battery.

Both are not cheap but it turned my 300 into a button only starter.

Doing the "wet mod" will not make it work better but it will make it last longer.