Sign in to follow this  

Where to get engine work?

My 04 Yz 250 needs a replate and new piston minimum ( after 8 tanks with new piston).  I think the crank is ok but I have no idea how much time is on it, so guess I'm going to have it replaced or rebuilt. I keep hearing good and bad on Wiseco and Hot rods Cranks. So that has me leaning towards sending  my crank  with a pro x rod kit, pro x piston, and my cylinder to Ken Oconner.... It seems he can have it all fixed, I just wanted to see what you guys think about it and what did you do in this situation? 

1009150237b.jpg

1107151418.jpg

1108152234a.jpg

1107151417b.jpg

Edited by yz250474

I'm not a 100% sure but I think I've read a lot of bad stories in relation to wiseco cranks. 

Yeah same here, but they have probably sold 2 times more cranks than hot rods (I have no idea maybe some one will know) 

Let me tell a quick story, I built my first Pc over a year ago. I was hesitant to try it because I didn't know anything about them, and kept reading about new parts that didn't work. I learned what parts I needed and started looking up reviews, no matter who made it or what part it was, it was always a bunch of people saying they got a part that  didn't work right. I said screw it and just bought the parts with decent reviews ( none were perfect)  hundreds if not a thousand or more hours on my pc and not 1 problem.

I know a PC is not a Engine, but  it got me thinking maybe its just the builder?    please share your thoughts guys, I really need some help. most of the crank threads I find are a few years old so that don't help.

Edited by yz250474

Had my OEM crank not been BER I would have had it rebuilt with a pro-x rod kit and OE main bearings.

If you're sending your jug for replate I would choose a vertex over pro-x. Had better luck with vertex over the years. Just my .02.

I do have a hot rods crank kit that is working fine after 60 hours or so. Fit and finish and build quality looks great...But it does have the keyway timing error. I can time it for stock timing or retarded timing...but advanced timing is not possible. I don't need advance so no big deal for me.

Thanks for the reply. I wish the moderator would of left my thread under General... I wanted to hear from people with all kinds of bikes....... so annoying

Edited by yz250474

send it to ken, his work is top notch.  Nothing wrong with hot rods products, wiseco took a beating on forums for a few failures but i know guys who run them without issue.

• Like 1

I have been building motors with wiseco. Zero failures... Vertex Pistons, and Langcourt re-plate. All with zero problems. I also use OEM gasket kit for the top end, and other gaskets. OEM on crank bearings.

Wiseco took a beating for 4 stroke cranks being bad, and the timing key being off on the 2 strokes. Hot rods has had the same problem on the 2 strokes.

OEM is always a good way to go, but even they might have a failure.

If you have the squish, do all OEM.

• Like 1

I have been building motors with wiseco. Zero failures... Vertex Pistons, and Langcourt re-plate. All with zero problems. I also use OEM gasket kit for the top end, and other gaskets. OEM on crank bearings.

Wiseco took a beating for 4 stroke cranks being bad, and the timing key being off on the 2 strokes. Hot rods has had the same problem on the 2 strokes.

OEM is always a good way to go, but even they might have a failure.

If you have the squish, do all OEM.

it would be an easy decision if I could afford OEM...

In your case rebuilding your oem crank (if that's what's in there) is less expensive than buying an AM crank kit. And way more reliable.

Pro-x makes the OE rods and bearings I think. So that's oem too.

Only part we are advising not be oem (not due to cost) is the vertex pistons.

OE crank bearings and seals and gaskets are more expensive than AM. But overall you will spend less going the oem rebuild route than buying AM kits for everything.

• Like 1

If cost is the factor:

Wiseco cranks are fine.

I found an IMS rod kit on ebay for 50 bucks. IMS started Hot Rods, before I bought it I called IMS (my buddy Steve has been there since day 1) and asked about the kits they used to put out. He told me, "if you can find one, then yes... they are a great rod kit, followed OEM to the T". I have not used it yet, but I do have an OEM crank that is a good candidate.

IMS rod kit, if available-hard to find, but out there on ebay, etc. 

Pro X rod kit (no experience with it)

OEM bearings

Tusk seals are a good price and good seal. Replace all the seals every 2 years in a motor and your good.

OEM top end gasket kit (found on the bottom of the page of "alternate parts" on the 2004 up parts fiche (works from 99-2015 16? 

OEM case gaskets, they can be reused for a long time if you dont tear them. 

If you can do all the work yourself (exceped press new rod on crank) you will save a bundle there also. 

Or...  :thumbsup:

Ship it to me, I'll do top and bottom for 350 labor rebuild motor (add 65 to press crank, 250 re-nicasil jug, I have a shop do that). Or I'll put in it what you want.

I sent out my OEM crank to Ken O'Conner and he did a great job on it. I had him replace my rod with another OEM rod and bearing .Ken recommend OEM or Pro -X rods. Worth every penny of it. It's "NOT" that much more. 2006 YZ 125. I'm never worried about my Crank. Good luck.

I forget where i saw it but wiseco crank bearings are the weak point, they have a different ball count and just straight up dont last as long.

I trust hot rods, pro x, wossner, oem bearings. wiseco cranks seem of if you have the tool to set timing. I did a 13 yz250 crank for a buddy with a complete wiseco bottom end kit a few weeks ago. I set the timing -1 and the timing adjustment plate was wayyyy different than -1 deg with the stock crank.  other than that its been holding together fine,