Sign in to follow this  

How to remove seal head circlip/wire ring in 10 seconds or less

This will work for both the bladder and head seal. I measured down to where the groove was for the circlip and then marked the outside of the shock body where it was. It was .602" down on my 2014 WR450. I lined up the space between the circlip with my mark and drilled a 5/64 (just under 2mm) hole into the circlip groove. Then I pushed the circlip so the end was just overlapping the hole, then I used vice grips to hold the drill and pushed it thru the hole to spring the circlip out of the groove and popped it out with a screwdriver. So the time it takes to drill the hole is longer then 10 seconds but getting the circlip out is super easy and the next time you work on the shock it will take less then 20 seconds to get them both out. Be carful installing the seal head because oil will shoot the hole till the o-ring gets past it.

Rear shock 003.JPG

Rear shock 005.JPG

Edited by tomerb

I just use a smallish flathead screwdriver.  You push down diagonally between the groove and circlip and it will displace the ring.  Then you lift the ring up over the first screwdriver with another screwdriver and it comes right out.  Drilling would make it a little easier but you can get by without.

Well that's the only to get an early monoshock apart or similar design with a 3 piece seal head like a banshee or crf 150/230f. Just don't see why you'd go through all that when a nice Snap-on pick will hook it and remove the circlip in about 1 second.

Just use a sharpened pick and blade screwdriver pops straight out