Sign in to follow this  

Need help deciding if to keep the drz

Hey friends of TT.

I have a drz400sm with a dirt rims set. Very happy of it basically. My use is dirt rides (tracks, sand and more) and occasionally road rides (short rides of 10km mostly once per week)

Im very temped to switch to the wr250r cause of its lightweight feeling. Also thought of going to a dirt only bike such as exc125..

What do you guys suggest?

Hey friends of TT.

I have a drz400sm with a dirt rims set. Very happy of it basically. My use is dirt rides (tracks, sand and more) and occasionally road rides (short rides of 10km mostly once per week)

Im very temped to switch to the wr250r cause of its lightweight feeling. Also thought of going to a dirt only bike such as exc125..

If your DRZ is paid off I would keep it too. Is the exc plated?? I also want a smaller bike for dirt but don't want to give up my DRZ or plated... Keep us posted... Edited by DRZadvKat01

Yea its fully paid.

Ktm is plated, talking only on plated bikes since here in israel u cant drive with non plated one. Not on the road, not anywhere. Its its a must. Also insurance here is very high for motorcycles so cant keep 2 motors

• Like 2

Yea its fully paid.

Ktm is plated, talking only on plated bikes since here in israel u cant drive with non plated one. Not on the road, not anywhere. Its its a must. Also insurance here is very high for motorcycles so cant keep 2 motors

Oh I see. Didn't realize where you were located... Cool! Insurance here is really cheap for us...4 bikes under 200.00 US dollars a year.

Good thing the other is plated then!... Just pick which one is best for your riding you will be doing....the DRZ is a great bike but yes it is heavy!

I'd probably keep it. The fun it brings is probably more than what you'd get for it.

It's very useful to have two motorbikes! Then you always have one to ride on when you need to work on a bike.

The DR-Z is the perfect beater / backup bike as well. Built like a tank, relatively. After I decided that mine was a beater, I keep it outside from time to time and use it on salted roads in winter and everything is fine - the bike is fine and I have peace of mind.

If you work on the DR-Z suspension it feels a lot lighter to ride. Part of the heavy feeling is that it's flopping around all the time. Stiffen up the suspension and it feels "solid" more than "heavy" because you aren't fighting it as much. You don't actually notice that you're fighting it but watch someone else ride it or a video of yourself.

• Like 1

Hey friends of TT.

Im very temped to switch to the wr250r cause of its lightweight feeling.

I don't think the WR250 feels much lighter than the WR450.

Keep the DRZ,  the WR250R is a bit lighter,  but lacks power (i test rode both DRZ400S and the WR250R),  the DRZ feels like it has almost twice the power. 

If its paid off and it runs,  just keep it,  unless you really want something for hard core off roading,  then sell it and get something else. 

• Like 2

Hey friends of TT.

Keep the DRZ & get another one...or two !   Taking mine to the grave...

• Like 2

Keep the drz! You can pretty much morph it into any form. You can set it up for 100% street or do the opposite and go 100% dirt. 

• Like 3

Keep the drz! You can pretty much morph it into any form. You can set it up for 100% street or do the opposite and go 100% dirt. 

Great post,  so true. 

Okay, currently it has 100% offroad tires, fcr mx, 3x3 and pipe. Great power. Feels heavy, i feel fighting it when i go tight places.. What else can i do?

Hey friends of TT.

Okay, currently it has 100% offroad tires, fcr mx, 3x3 and pipe. Great power. Feels heavy, i feel fighting it when i go tight places.. What else can i do?

The #1 item I ever did for my 100% single-track DRZ was the 54T rear sprocket. The maneuverability changes were incredible and you'll swear you dropped 50#'s off the bike on tight single tracks. 2nd gear rules & 1st will pull you out of anything! I trailered my bike to the trails after the install of knobbies & sprocket. 14 x 54 was useless on the street but got me up some serious terrain! The DRZ is an extremely versatile machine IMO...until you push the extreme limits for road travel or dirt use. I regularly pushed those dirt extremes & recently moved on to a dedicated enduro machine. If I would have had a SM like you it would still be in the stall next to the enduro bike. Consider carefully before letting go of your SM, you'll most likely miss it regardless. I doubt you'll be happy with the WR250 or the EXC125 after the 400/FCR set-up. Difficult decisions here for sure, good luck  :ride:

• Like 1

okay then. last questions that remains are:

if i deal with the suspension (its SM) will i feel way diferent (i mean less weight feeling)?

does the WR250R feels considerably lighter? or minor?

im looking for the Most hard core offroad bike (trail mostly) that can be rode occasionally on road (once twice per week).

Wr250r's are really good bikes. Plenty of parts/aftermarket support avail and they are really reliable as well. Similar power to a DRZ but a lot lighter feeling.

It may feel lighter, but its not much. It's still a 300lb motorcycle with only 250cc to move it.  It's like a 2 stroke, no low end, wind it to the moon and it makes good power.

DRZ walks all over it down low, where most trail riding is done.   ;)

For hardcore and way lighter, you want the WR250F with a dual sport kit. NOT the same bike with lights ®, almost completely different bikes.  (F carburated and much hotter tuned, 30-35lbs lighter than the R)

It's the DRZ400E equivalent, but lighter and better suspension. 

Both WR-R and DRZ need and are hugely improved with suspension tuning. (F doesn't need)

A DRZ is extremely comfortable bike off road when the suspension is set up right. 

Mine is sprung and tuned for my 230lbs, Ohlins rear, it's very very good.  I still look at the lighter bikes from time to time, but mines good enough that I don't think I'd be any faster and I'm not racing anyway.  I don't notice mine feeling top heavy like the stock suspension does, I think being properly sprung is big there.  For tight stuff a Rekluse is awfully nice and makes it much easier and more relaxed. 

Edited by MindBlower

okay then. last questions that remains are:

if i deal with the suspension (its SM) will i feel way diferent (i mean less weight feeling)?

does the WR250R feels considerably lighter? or minor?

im looking for the Most hard core offroad bike (trail mostly) that can be rode occasionally on road (once twice per week).

I'd recommend suspension set-up to be on the agenda for any bike you ride. It doesn't make for a much lighter feel but does absorb the terrain much better therefore making you work less to recover from the inevitable situations in rough terrain. You've described a pretty wide range of riding terrains in your thread here: "dirt riding, tracks, sand, more, tight places, & now hard core". If you want the most "hard core offroad bike" you'll most likely find that in a newer, dedicated enduro 300 2T or so. Power to weight ratios are phenomenal & you'll ride much safer in the rough. You may not be able to accomplish your goals here without owning two bikes if you go to these offroad extremes. Check out k4f5x0r's recent posts & video. He just made a similar transition with a plated 2T. 

• Like 1

i see. thanks for all advices. ill keep you posted with pics if i do buy anything else, meanwhile i can show the DRZ ^_^

dr.jpg

image.jpg

Edited by thekeeper199
  • Like 3

Every time I think of getting rid of my DRZ, I remember how fun it is and how easy the maintenance is. That is usually enough,  no way I am selling it.

• Like 2

The #1 item I ever did for my 100% single-track DRZ was the 54T rear sprocket.

Is there any clearance issues with the 54T?

KTM 500 EXC

• Like 1