Sign in to follow this  

What to buy

My son is out growing his crf70f. Looking to upgrade and get something bigger. Just not sure what to get. He's pretty good on the bike now but I want to get something with a clutch to get him used to it. Any suggestions

How big is he and how old?  How about a CRF150?

My son is 9 yo and absolutely no hero. But he had no problem learning riding on his brothers XR80.

I think an XR100 is better suited though, he wil outgrow the XR80 fast.

My other son got the XR80 when he was 10 YO. I am now thinking about buying him a 2 stroke 80/85 (he's 11 right now).

Edited by jakepeewee

I just put my 9yr old on a DR-Z 110. He moved up from a PW80. The DR-Z/KLX 110 is a great little bike. If you see one on CL that hasn't been beat to death by big kids (adults) then snatch it up! I figure my boy can ride this thing for a year or two before moving on to something bigger. I paid $900 for this bike. It's a 2005 but it sat in two different garages for almost 10 years. It had hardly any scratches on it.

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1447625729.907986.jpg

I just put my 9yr old on a DR-Z 110. He moved up from a PW80. The DR-Z/KLX 110 is a great little bike. If you see one on CL that hasn't been beat to death by big kids (adults) then snatch it up! I figure my boy can ride this thing for a year or two before moving on to something bigger. I paid $900 for this bike. It's a 2005 but it sat in two different garages for almost 10 years. It had hardly any scratches on it.

📎ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1447625729.907986.jpg

. That's a steal!!! I've been tossing up the 110 or 85. I want him to have a clutch so he can get used to it.

. That's a steal!!! I've been tossing up the 110 or 85. I want him to have a clutch so he can get used to it.

Yeah getting the kids used to a clutch early is a good idea. I figure that I'll have my son on a bike with a clutch when he's done with this one. Good luck finding something!

If he fits a 110 he will fit a 65 instead of an 85. 

I was on a 65 at his age. The best bike to learn on as a kid. 

I would recommend a Yamaha TTR125 I had one and had lots of fun on it! If your looking to stay with Honda then maybe a xr100 or crf100

I just worried a 125 might be to big for him to kinda touch the ground. I'd love to get him a 125 because it will last him a long time

My son had a 65 and klx 110L when he was younger.  The 110L (has a clutch) is heavier but easier to learn the clutch on.  I believe it's also a little taller than the standard 110.